Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for place to celebrate anniversary---beach/waterfront (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-place-to-celebrate-anniversary-beach-waterfront-1002430/)

ozres Jan 10th, 2014 02:01 PM

Looking for place to celebrate anniversary---beach/waterfront

I'm looking for a place to celebrate our 21st anniversary in April. DH prefers a beachside/waterfront location to chill out, read a book, eat some good seafood, and watch the waves crash on the shore. I'd like to see something different from home (which is the Ozarks), like sightseeing, hiking, local shopping areas, cultural areas unique to that area, etc.

Since our anniversary is the beginning of April, warm temperatures may be a problem. If we were travelling in the summer, we'd head to the northeast somewhere and walk along the rocky beach, eat fresh seafood, and check out the historical stuff you can't find in the midwest. That would make both of us happy. However, north of Boston might be a little chilly at the beginning of April! I thought about Yosemite, which he has never seen. But again, the cold temperatures would not make him happy and Yosemite doesn't really have the "kick back and chill" factor.

So, where should we go? We've been to Key West, Cancun area (I know that's not in the US, but we're open to suggestions), Puerto Vallarta, Destin, Gulf Shores, and many places in the Caribbean. Although we're open to travelling outside the US, I even considered 5 days in Ireland! I was thinking about areas north or south of San Francisco, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, Charleston, Florida, New Orleans (but no place to chill and watch the waves!) Pleasant outdoor temperatures are a big factor for DH and he's a HUGE airplane buff...just in case there's a unique aviation "something" nearby.

I'd like to surprise DH with some place really cool, some place he'd never consider going! What come to mind? Any ideas?

Thanks!

suze Jan 10th, 2014 02:12 PM

Hawaii!

janisj Jan 10th, 2014 02:35 PM

Definitely Hawaii. SF won't be warm - and the beach/water never is, and Ireland 100% won't be warm. Go to Oahu - other islands are terrific but Oahu will have the beach/ outdoorsy stuff plus city/shopping/historical bits.

DebitNM Jan 10th, 2014 02:50 PM

+3 Hawaii

BarbAnn Jan 10th, 2014 03:02 PM

+4 Hawaii

ozres Jan 10th, 2014 03:05 PM

I should have told you, we've been to Hawaii. It IS beautiful and warm, but I'm trying to use frequent flyer miles. With such short notice, it would cost us a LOT of miles. We could go to the south of France for the same amount of miles. Now that I think about it, maybe I should post this question on the European board? We've been to Paris, London, Switzerland, Germany, and a cruise through the eastern Mediterranean. The problem with Europe is the travel time. It takes a long time to get to the good places from the midwest!

suze Jan 10th, 2014 03:12 PM

Well a trip to Europe's an entirely different question than "beach/waterfront" like the title of this post. Sure post over on that forum and see who replies.

Tomsd Jan 10th, 2014 03:19 PM

San Diego.

janisj Jan 10th, 2014 03:21 PM

Nowhere in Europe will be warm enough in April for beach lazing . . .

Tomsd Jan 10th, 2014 03:22 PM

And outside of DC - nothing better than the Air and Space Museum in San Diego, plus the Antique Auto Museum is next door - plus there are other museums - Art/Natural History, Botannical Gardens/Rose Gardens you may also like, not to mention the world famlous Zoo in Balboa Park.

http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-par...r-space-museum

Tomsd Jan 10th, 2014 03:24 PM

Also have your DH look at these pics of the SD Air and Space, and the Hall of Champions/Athletics is also on the other side.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...w=1107&bih=556

nytraveler Jan 10th, 2014 04:26 PM

Actually we have been to southern Spain twice in April and both times the temps were well into the 80s. The seas was fine for swimming and the hotel pools were open (and the AC in the rooms on).

I think that you will fins temps like that most years. But don;t know if you can get there via FF miles.

janisj Jan 10th, 2014 05:38 PM

Yes -southern Spain might fit. But even there April can be quite cool. Just because it was in the 80's when you were there isn't a guarantee. I was in Barcelona once in May and it was in the 60's .. . Does that mean May is usually cool - no.

ozres Jan 10th, 2014 06:51 PM

Great pictures of the San Diego Air and Space Museum. We've never been there. But, one of DH's favorite places is the museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station.

I may be asking for too much....beach lounging AND culture. Florida definitely has the weather we're after, but I don't know any place that would offer much more than sand and sun. We've been to the Kennedy Space station over 17 years ago. Maybe another trip to Florida?

ozres Jan 10th, 2014 07:02 PM

After playing around with frequent flyer miles, it looks like we should stick with the United States, or possibly the Caribbean. Getting to Europe could be a hassle!

Cali Jan 10th, 2014 07:30 PM

If our wonderful weather continues this winter I would recommend Southern CA and especially San Diego. It is a fun city.

steviegene Jan 11th, 2014 04:20 AM

Could you do central america? I think April is still in season there. We really enjoyed Costa Rica. They have a great combination of hiking, beaches, wildlife, adventure activities, etc.

Gretchen Jan 11th, 2014 04:26 AM

Somewhere along the southeast coast--The Cloisters, Kiawah, etc. Spend some time in Charleston. You may not be able to swim in the ocean but it will be the height of the flowering tree/azalea season.

Gretchen Jan 11th, 2014 04:26 AM

Somewhere along the southeast coast--The Cloisters, Kiawah, etc. Spend some time in Charleston. You may not be able to swim in the ocean but it will be the height of the flowering tree/azalea season.

Tomsd Jan 11th, 2014 05:42 AM

If you go to Cape Kennedy - there are at least two great space "museums" there - one with an IMAX and a Missile "garden" - and if memory serves me correctly - the other has a Space Camp - and the Astronauts' Hall of Fame.