Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for Philadelphia Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-philadelphia-restaurants-1647913/)

maitaitom Feb 2nd, 2018 12:19 PM

Looking for Philadelphia Restaurants

I've decided I'm going to let Tracy, Kim and Mary eat on this trip...I need their energy at a high level with all we have to see in 4 full days and five nights.

Looking for a few dinner recommendations ... Talked to some business acquaintances who enjoyed Ristorante Pesto along with Bud & Marilyn's on their trip. In a quick look at their websites, their price point seemed reasonable, especially since Ristorante Pesto has no corkage fee (I love that). Hs anyone dined at either? Also wondering what are some of the favorites you guys have enjoyed. We're staying near Rittenhouse Square, but we'll go most anywhere. Any type of cuisine acceptable. Thanks.

((H))

bachslunch Feb 2nd, 2018 03:04 PM

Reading Terminal Market: Di Nic’s (roast pork is a must), Bassett’s Ice Cream.
Cheesesteaks: Jim’s.
Old fashioned ice cream parlor: Franklin Fountain.
Greek seafood, pricey but good: Estia.
Chinatown: Sang Kee Peking Duck (Chinese), Rangoon (Burmese)

maitaitom Feb 2nd, 2018 03:21 PM

Thanks...Reading Terminal Market is definitely on our list for a visit.

((H))

kja Feb 2nd, 2018 06:26 PM

Paradiso!
Paradiso | Restaurant and Wine Bar
It’s not particularly convenient to many tourist destinations, but IME, well worth it!

gardendiva Feb 3rd, 2018 09:15 AM

Georgio's on Pine is BYOB. The Tavern on Broad is very casual with good food and live music.

Birdie Feb 3rd, 2018 03:24 PM

Two highly regarded places in Rittenhouse are Vernick and a kitchen. Both are good but Vernick can be tough to get into.
Devon Seafood is old school sea food. Banquettes in the back room, etc.
Parc is French bistro and great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Lively atmosphere.
My favorites in the area are Twenty Manning Grill, Tinto, and Harp and Crown (introduced to me by PhillyFan)
The best traditional Italian food imho is at La Fontana Della Citta. I would go there before I'd go to any of the red gravy places in South Philly. It's byob too.

I don't think any of the byobs in Philly will charge a corkage fee and there's quite a few in the city if you prefer to bring your own. You might want to consider bringing your own wine into the city. PA's ABC laws restrict wine sales to state run liquor stores and there's only one near Rittenhouse and it doesn't have a particularly inspired selection.

There are many great restaurants in Philly so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good selection.

Amy Feb 3rd, 2018 05:47 PM

There is a lot of great food here (and yeah, Reading Terminal Market is crucial) but a couple I'll suggest are a little outside the box: Marrakesh on Leithgow Street near South and Victor Cafe in South Philadelphia. At Marrakesh you get great Moroccan food while you're lounging around a brass table (after you've knocked on the door to be let in) and at Victor Cafe you've got opera singing waiters serving you good Italian food. And of course if you want variety in your cheesesteaks and a true cultural immersion, you can ride the subway up to Broad and Erie and get one at Max's. (It's the place that's shown in the movie Creed, but they sure did shine it up a bit for the movie!)

maitaitom Feb 4th, 2018 09:39 AM

This is all making me quite hungry (:

((H))

ekscrunchy Feb 4th, 2018 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What about Zahav? It was rated "best in the US a few years ago. But you need to book far ahead. I hope to make the trip to eat there this summer, from NYC. Anyone here been there?

Attachment 145

Suki Feb 5th, 2018 02:08 PM

Zahav has a great rep but I haven't been there yet. Talula's Garden has good food but an even better outdoor space to dine in if you have nice weather. Ristorante Pesto is a very old school South Philly Italian place. For something a little nicer I'd recommend Le Virtu (or its little sister that's a bit more casual, Brigantessa. Laurel is another great restaurant that's difficult to get into but is worth the wait. Le Virtu has a nice patio too.