Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for my dream city - would you help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-my-dream-city-would-you-help-213368/)

michelle May 4th, 2002 05:47 AM

Looking for my dream city - would you help?

Hi, I am thinking about moving to another city this fall. I thought I would narrow down my choices to a few cities and then start job search and visit the area this summer. Does anyone know any city that meets the following criteria? <BR><BR>(In the order of importance to me)<BR><BR>1) Good job market for IT/software industry<BR>2) Cultural diversity<BR>3) Reasonable housing cost<BR>4) Mild weather (no long, harsh winter)<BR><BR>If I can add another wish, I would like to live not too far from the ocean, but I know I'm already hoping a lot for... :) I currently live in Massachusetts. Thank you very much in advance for your advice! <BR>

kim May 4th, 2002 09:02 AM

Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte

suzanne May 4th, 2002 09:11 AM

Here's a few:<BR>London<BR>Baltimore<BR>Brooklyn

Rich May 4th, 2002 09:13 AM

Definitely the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, which sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Housing isn't particularly cheap, and is expensive as compared to many other cities in the Sun Belt, but I expect you'll find it cheaper than Massachusetts (or at least Boston).

elizabeth May 4th, 2002 09:37 AM

I've lived in over 20 cities in 6 states and as a flight attendant I travel all over the US year round. I think Seattle is fantastic, Portland, OR, and Albuquerque are great too.

r rankin May 4th, 2002 09:43 AM

We live in Ponte Vedra Beach Florida, which might be a little steep for the housing. But, I'll tell you, we moved to this area about 3 years ago and absolutly love it. You could also try Jacksonville Beach and St. Augustine.

r rankin May 4th, 2002 09:45 AM

Me again. I also forgot to mention that Jacksonville is excellent for the IT/software market.

Lou May 4th, 2002 12:08 PM

No City is good for IT jobs now, ever heard of the tech crash Jacksonville booster?

Bro. Cletus May 4th, 2002 12:57 PM

Being a long-haul semi driver, I reckon I can offer some places that would fill your cup:<BR><BR>1. Des Moines<BR>2. Fargo<BR>3. Waco

Maxie May 4th, 2002 01:12 PM

You're thinking of trading in the long, harsh winters for long, hot, humid summers, perhaps?

michelle May 4th, 2002 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I really appreciate it! I'll definitely do some more research on those cities you recommended. Thanks again for your help. And yes, I'm definitely a summer person...

nowinterthisyear May 4th, 2002 05:42 PM

Princeton, new jersey

cokoo May 4th, 2002 06:10 PM

DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!

wes May 5th, 2002 06:33 AM

Consider the mountains of western North Carolina. The Asheville area in particular. Very diverse culture and scenery. You'd love it!

Anna May 5th, 2002 07:40 AM

I've read a lot of postings lately about Asheville, NC. While the mountain areas surrounding the city are beautiful, you have to keep in mind that the city is still a small, conservative area with not much of a job market to speak of. And the "diversity" that everyone raves about consists mainly of New Age hippies. (But I don't live in Asheville, and I'm all for diversity, so don't get me wrong.) There is no software industry there, and it truly is more of a retirement community than anything else. If you've already made your money, it's a nice place to retire, but for a young person still in the job market, don't even consider it. Plus, remember that it's a long way from a beach, and the best airport (Atlanta) is 3.5 hours away.

wes May 5th, 2002 08:13 AM

You're right Anna! My mistake. Being my own worst enemy here, I guess. I've lived here all my life. It would still be as it "used to be" here if it weren't for all the new age hippies. A quiet little town in the mountains is now the melting pot for "the anything goes" crowd. Sorry that we ever encouraged anyone to move here. It'll never happen again. Thanks for the reminder!

Anna May 5th, 2002 11:52 AM

Wes, I'm from Asheville too. I haven't lived there in many years, but still visit often. It's definitely not what it used to be, and in some ways that's definitely a good thing. But I think there are enough people there, so let's not let the secret out!

xman May 5th, 2002 12:17 PM

findyourspot.com

Grace May 5th, 2002 09:03 PM

I cant believe I am going to say this but Colorado Springs, CO pretty much meets all your requests except for the Ocean. They are pretty high on the list for tech jobs (my husband has one here). I have noticed a lot more minorities here than where I am originally from so there is diversity. The cost of housing is much cheaper than Denver and although we do have snow, it is usually pretty mild and the weather changes constantly. It can get very hot in the summer and spring. Personally I would choose Denver over Colo Springs but I just thought I would mention it since some people seem to love it here. The mountains are beautiful though.

Bill May 6th, 2002 05:49 AM

Sorry, but the IT market here in the Triangle crashed early last year and will not stabilize (maybe) until late in the year, according to article in yesterday's News and Observer. Nortel, Cisco, IBM, WorldCom, coupled with the telecom meltdown means layoffs in the thousands, with many more coming. Sorry.