Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for lunch en route from SLC to Park City

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be about twenty in my group arriving from the East Coast around 2:00pm. We would like to grab a milkshake at the Iceberg en route to Park City, but prefer to eat our lunch somewhere with a lighter/healthier menu. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Hi!

It's only a 30 min drive, but you may be starving with the time change. A couple of my favorite SLC restaurants are near downtown, The Oasis Cafe is quite unique. They roast their own coffee and have a large vegetarian menu, but with a whole range of very creative dishes. Cool atmosphere with an interior courtyard/garden and a bookstore attached.

Also really like Cafe Trio at about 900 East and 900 South. Very nice outdoor and excellent food and service. For either place with 20 you better call ahead!

Another classic Utah "canyon" place is Ruth's Dinner in Emmigration Canyon. Typical food, great atmosphere. You can drive up Emmigration Canyon to Park City, intersecting I-80 at the East Canyon/Mountain Dell (golf course) exit. Watch for the road cyclists!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million, Dayle. We are all quite excited about the trip. Being a vegetarian, I am quite intrigued by the Oasis Cafe. Sounds great.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM

I'm assuming you are going to the original Iceberg on 3900 South 900 East which really isn't en route to Park City. Iceberg shakes are huge. We usually split one between two of us. I would buy a shake and a fry, skip a healthy lunch and head up to Park City and have an earlier dinner. A shake really does fill you up.

If you hit Snyderville (turn off to Park City) and you decide you want something to eat. You could stop at Cafe Rio, which is a Utah favorite for quick absolutely delicious Mexican food.

Iceberg shakes are good, but not as good as Nielsen's Frozen Custard in Bountiful.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

You are right, Barbara, the original Iceberg. It didn't look too far out of the way on the map, have I misjudged?

I don't know if we will get to Bountiful, but I will put Nielsen's on the list in case we do.

Thanks for the suggestion of Cafe Rio. We may give it a try since I just love Mexican food.

Just a couple of days now!!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Hi BarbaraS!

cmcfong, If you do decide to visit the Oasis Cafe, they do have entres for all, not just veggie.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Hi Dayle! Have fun on your upcoming trip!

I looked it up on Google maps and it says it's less than 3 miles off I80 down 700 East to 3900 South, so I guess it's not that far out of your way.

There's also a Nielsen's Frozen Custard in Holladay, 3918 Highland Dr. Just East of The Iceberg. It might be fun to try both if you are ice cream lovers. Nielsen's really is better ice cream. Not the huge portions, but so creamy and delicious!

Have fun!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another vote here for eating in Park City. So short of a drive.

BTW, the milkshakes sound wonderful!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Here's a fun article on eating in Utah. Ice cream is at the end http://www.saltlakemagazine.com/Salt...-Locavore-100/
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

The article was a fun read, Barbara, but it raises a new issue. Should we stop for the Spotted Dog ice cream or go on the extra mile for the IceBerg? I am a milkshake lover and my friends have learned it is easier to just let me have my fix. I can only have one, which should it be?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM

LOL - sorry to add another wrinkle! Iceberg is more of an institute in Utah. Spotted Dog has only been around since 2003 and I haven't tried it, so I'd stick with Iceberg. But it appears you can get Spotted Dog at Smith's Grocery Store, 1725 West Uinta Way, Park City, UT. I'll look forward to a review.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Talk about a perfect solution, Barbara! This way I get both!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM

For shakes, Iceberg is THE place. Spotted Dog for icecream during the week==purchase at Smith's.

I second Oasis for vegetarians. I am not but I love their food and it is a good place for my book club because we are about 1/4 veggies so we need to accommodate that AND they have a very nice wine list. I would go to Oasis for lunch, then go to Iceberg for the shake. Get the small--seriously, they are BEYOND huge.

My favorite is the Snickers.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Well we did the Iceberg. Fresh raspberry shakes and onion rings for the group! Fun. Spotted Dog next time. We also had milkshakes at the Rhode Island Diner in Kamas. Big kudos for those.
I will post my trip report in a day or so, but want to say thank you to everyone who helped us plan. My friends were so impressed with my "inside" knowledge! Great visit.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM

I'm so glad you had a good time. I'll look forward to your trip report!