Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for lobster! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-lobster-980700/)

abednego Jun 6th, 2013 02:14 PM

Looking for lobster!

Where's the best place to get reasonably priced lobster on the Maine coast? We're planning to drive the coast from Kennebunkport to Bar Harbor in July. My thirteen-year-old son wants badly to eat some Maine lobster, and we want to make sure he gets some that represents what Maine lobster is supposed to be like. We're Texans who've never been to Maine before, so we welcome advice.

Ackislander Jun 6th, 2013 02:26 PM

Every town on your route will have a lobster pound, a dock where they boil lobsters and serve them with butter, corn, chowder, perhaps steamer clams, and watermelon or pie. sometimes they will just have lobsters. You sit at a picnic table. It is very, very rare to need to go into a restaurant to eat lobster.

Last year there was a glut. maybe you will get lucky this year,

clarkgriswold Jun 6th, 2013 03:27 PM

10 minutes south of Kennebunkport on Route 1, Beach Plum Lobster. or 10 minutes north, the Cape Porpoise Pier.

abednego Jun 6th, 2013 07:42 PM

I had no idea. Sounds great! Thanks

abednego Jun 6th, 2013 07:44 PM

I'll save these names and plan to try one of them. Thanks so much!

Ackislander Jun 7th, 2013 03:24 AM

Cooke's on Bailey's island, the Lobstermen's 'Coop in Boothbay Harbor, Harraskeet Lobsters in Freeport and on and on.

abednego Jun 7th, 2013 04:21 AM

Bailey's Island sounds lovely, and I now have Cook's website bookmarked. Thanks!

tomboy Aug 2nd, 2013 12:42 PM

We stopped in Southeast Harbor, on Mt Desert Island (as is Bar Harbor) and stopped at the dock. A local lobsterman offered us 1 pounders for $3. They weren't much more at a local village restaurant.

Lookin_Glass Aug 2nd, 2013 01:03 PM

I just bought 1/2 dozen chicks at $3.99 last weekend. I feel bad for the lobstermen. It is too cheap. But whattayagannado? Leave them in the grocer tanks?

dfrostnh Aug 2nd, 2013 03:35 PM

google best lobster shacks.
Five Islands has a beautiful view
Waterman's Beach near Owl's Head Transportation Museum is our favorite (wear a hat and sunglasses if you want a picnic table near the water but there is a covered porch)
my mind has gone blank
We've never been to Bailey's Island because it always looks crowded but Estes in the Harpswells has a varied menu whereas some shacks only do lobster
Last year we went to Cundy's Harbor - another nice place with a view
There's been other places that were fine but didn't stick in our memory or we visited too long ago
Had lobster last night. A lot of supermarkets will steam them for you to take home. Market Basket was an unadvertised $3.99/lb last night - at least where I was shopping but the supermarkets don't have the view and ambiance. You want the rustic wooden shacks on the ocean with picnic tables. And you don't need much more besides a bag of chips and maybe a good piece of pie for dessert.

volcanogirl Aug 2nd, 2013 11:49 PM

Bookmarking.

tower Aug 3rd, 2013 05:46 AM

One more suggestion for you, abednego...visit Ogunquit, south of Kennebunkport...beautifully scenic walkway on small rise overlooking the Atlantic...and Barnacle Billy's lobster joint down at the harbor (ha-bah). Favorite of ours when in Maine. Been too long a time, but I'll be in Bah Ha-bah first week of September as part of a cruise. Your son is in for a treat! Have fun, Texans!

clarkgriswold Aug 3rd, 2013 07:49 AM

It's August folks. Abednego's lobster has already been devoured and I'm sure it was delicious.