Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for interesting lodging in Jackson Hole (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-interesting-lodging-in-jackson-hole-868359/)

OCdogsmom Dec 1st, 2010 10:55 AM

Looking for interesting lodging in Jackson Hole

Thinking of staying at Spring Creek Ranch (SPR) and Wort Hotel during trip in Feb. We will be skiing at Jackson Hole but also planning snowmobiling, and sightseeing/ photography in the area.

The view looks amazing at the SPR, but I can't tell if it is too far out of town and ski areas. Also some pictures look like the place is really up to date, other pictures don't look as up to date. The Wort hotel also looks neat and is in town. Going for the Wyoming "feel" if that makes sense. Any thoughts, comments or other suggestions would be appreciated.

starrs Dec 1st, 2010 11:29 AM

I'm not familiar with either but when you said "Wyoming feel" I thought about the lodge at the ski resort -

http://snakeriverlodge.rockresorts.c...s/overview.asp

We just walked in after riding Big Red to the top (in summer) but I loved the look and feel of the place - rustic elegance. Take a look at it and see what you think. It's steps away from the lift, close to the park entrance and not that far from town. We stayed in a hotel in town, just walked by the Wort and then stayed elsewhere in the park. But if I were going back in winter, I'd love to stay there. I'd especially take advantage of the spa.

Here are some other options -
http://www.jacksonhole.com/plan-buy/...g/resorts.html

williamscb13 Dec 1st, 2010 12:16 PM

So I have mixed feelings about your plans. I skied in Jackson Hole last winter and we stayed at the Snake River Lodge (I think). It was right next to the Four Seasons. It was very nice and convenient to be ski in and ski out. We had margaritas every afternoon at the Mangy Moose and if you like spice don't miss the hot margaritas. Seriously, some of the best margaritas I've ever had and that's not just because it was after a long day of skiing. We ate one night at an Italian restaurant slopeside and it was fantastic. I don't remember much more about our dining choices.

One day we took the public bus into the town of Jackson proper to do a little shopping. Even though we felt it was fairly early 3-4ish, very few of the shops in town or around the town square were open. It was a little disappointing. I also felt like there wasn't much going on around the square either. Not like I remembered the square from my visit about 15 years ago in the summer.

We ate dinner in town that night and the restaurants were definitely full of people. We walked into the Wort and it is definitely funky and unique.

It all depends on whether you want to drive back and forth to the mountain every day. It's probably a 15 - 20 minute drive plus parking, hauling all your gear etc. The bus takes a little bit longer. I enjoyed being able to ski in and ski out, and the two areas are really two distinct areas.

That being said, we have a place in Crested Butte and it is a ways from the ski mountain and we have no problem getting up and driving to the ski area every morning. But then we know where to park, we have a ski locker and in effect except for our drive are ski in and ski out.
I also feel like the town of Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte are much closer to gather than Jackson Hole ski resort and the town of Jackson proper.

If I were going to go skiing and knowing about the good restaurant choices at the ski area, I would stay near there. If you are going to do other things, and want more of a mountain experience rather than a ski mountain experience I would stay in town.

Dayle Dec 1st, 2010 04:48 PM

OCDogMom,

The Spring Creek Ranch is up on a bluff about half way between town and the ski area. For me, I would NOT choose this location because even though the views are good, it's not convenient. The road up is quite steep and there is nothing else up there except the Amanjani so you will be isolated and have to drive everywhere. You want to either stay in town or at the ski area!

1JAR Dec 1st, 2010 06:48 PM

We stayed at Snake River Lodge in August for a week. It was very pleasant..spa great, indoor swimming pool great, nice workout room seperate floors for men/women, restaurants nice bar good too. We found the rooms big with double beds, nice TV, cellphone access, very nice,deep soaking tub, very well heated. Can confirm the access to the various gondolas/lifts was excelent, sufficient restaurants in the ski area. Staff went out of their way to accomodate.
Having said that, the amenities above had trouble keepng up with the volume of people who stayed in the rooms...and that was summer.

panecott Dec 2nd, 2010 10:04 AM

I stayed at the Teton Mountain Lodge 2 years ago. It's right in Teton Village at the foot of the ski slopes so it's super convenient, and it's just about a mile from the Moose Wilson entrance to the park. it's in the same area as the Snake River Lodge

I was not there for ski season, however, but the lodge was lovely, with great service. It has spa facilities and two restaurants: one casual and one more formal. There was also a great Italian restaurant next door. My room had a fireplace and a small balcony with a view of the slopes. I think most rooms have kitchenette facilities, which is convenient for breakfast.
It was about a 15 minute drive into Jackson.

adaptedforcold Dec 6th, 2010 08:28 AM

I used to live in JH for 10 years. The 'Wyoming Feel' is way more prevalent at the Wort hotel. Snake River is nice, but it lacks a lot of ambiance. The restaurant and bar at the wort - the Silver Dollar bar - has live music and usually a packed house. Snake river has a rather dry hotel bar and a restaurant that no one but its guests dine at.

Spring Creek, though with great views, is a pretty tired property and adds 20 minutes on to any travel anywhere, plus a dearth of restaurants/services up there.

Furthermore, if photography/parks/snowmobiling is on the itinerary, the Wort is closer than any of them. The road between teton village and Grand Teton park is closed in the winter.

Regarding shops closing at 3 or 4, I say hogwash. Its a vibrant town with a winter charm that is right out of a snowglobe.