Search

Looking for ideas on what to do and where to stay in Maui/Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM
JNE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for ideas on what to do and where to stay in Maui/Kauai

My husband and I have booked our flights to Maui/Kauai for Dec 9th - 16th. We are taking our daughters 18 and 20. We are staying 5 night/4 full days in Maui and need help on where to stay. We would like a beautiful swimable beach, very nice accommodations that is within a reasonable driving distance to our activities. A travel agent recommends the Fairmont in Wailea but it is the only one she has made so I fear that the hotel may give them kick backs. Our budget is around $500.00 per night and we are open to suggestions We do like to stay in 4-5 star hotels. We may never go back so I really want to do it right. We would like to do some of the following things if recommended: Helicopter ride, bike ride, surfing lessons, whale watching, cliff dive watching, a luau, maybe something off the beaten path, etc... Suggestions welcome. We will leave Maui and travel to Kauai for the last two nights but will have 3 full days as we are taking the late night flight to LA on our last day. We will then lay over in LA for two nights before heading back to Atlanta. In Kauai we are staying at the Grand Hyatt. Any suggestions on what to do there with our grown girls would be appreciated. We have not booked a hotel in LA yet but any suggestions on where to stay and what to do there would help too. Thank you for any help!!
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Are you going to try to put 4 adults in one hotel room or two?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Kal

We usually stay in the Kapaa area on Kauai.
Midpoint to all "ends of the road" so you'd spend less time in a car.

Helicopter ride is a must for a first timer.
ATV tours on Kauai were also a good time.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:35 PM
JNE
Original Poster

At the Grand Hyatt we can get one room with two Queen beds so that will work to save some money there. So I think we could do a large room with 2 queens or a King and nice sofa bed or even a one bedroom if the price isn't too high.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Unless you want to look for a condo, the Kea Lani is a good choice. Having a suite would really be the best way to go in my opinion. When we had an overnight guest there, he took the pullout mattress off and slept on it on the floor. But the mattress on our King was heaven. I'm sure they can also offer a roll away.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 05:02 AM

yoiks. $500 for 4 adult people crammed into a room? You could get a 2 bdrm condo for half that:

http://www.outrigger.com/reservation...n=0&x=123&y=12
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 10:59 AM

I'd do the helicopter trip on Kauai, beautiful island.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM

We just returned from our first trip to Kauai from Maine. We are two couples in our mid-50's. We rented a condo while staying in Princeville for a week. The highlight of that island for us was seeing the island and NaPali coastline in a helicopter. We used Jack Harter and they fly out of Lihue. Amazing views with the doors OFF! About $269/pp. Great narration, we got awesome pictures, and never once did I feel like I was going to fall out. A gorgeous place.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Kal

We used Jack Harter on our first trip over in '89.

We actually got him as the pilot.
A gentle man who OBVIOUSLY loved the island and shared his love and knowledge with you.
Sounds like his pilots were trained the same way?

We went on another one "post Iniki" to see what damage was done and made the mistake of not going with Harter again.
This guy thought he was TC in Magnum PI.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Pardon me while I completely rearrange your trip to Hawaii.

You don't have enough time to make it worthwhile to spend the time flying between islands. One week = One island. Ten nights = Two. I would choose Oahu + Maui. I would skip two nights in LA, and make this trip all about Hawaii. Most young women would enjoy the 'buzz' of Waikiki on Oahu and Kaanapali on Maui. *I* would just do Maui -- in a condo. Oceans will be calmer off South Maui, but weather should be fine from Kahana on south.

This is a poor season for Kauai. Wind and rain will be affecting the most beautiful north shores, and the ocean will be rough there. Some years the rain extends south to Poipu.

This is THE least expensive time of year to visit Hawaii. You should find some bargain lodgings and rental cars.

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com At your price point, look at Wailea Beach Villas, Polo Beach Club, Wailea Ekahi and Elua. The Kea Lani is nice, but we don't share a BR or bath with our kids at home and don't want to do it on vacation either. Living on Island Time is easy with a 'home away from home'.

In West Maui, I like this agency: www.chasenrainbows.com The Honua Kai is a very large, new condo-tel just north of the main stretch of Kaanapali beaches.

We are in South Kihei every winter. I look for 767's or other widebody aircraft and nonstops for one long leg to Hawaii from our home near Chicago. I avoid 757's and west coast connections.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
JNE
Original Poster

Unfortunately we already have our flights to Maui/Kauai/La and then back home and it would be a fortune to change plus my husband can't take anymore time than that. I know it's a shorter trip than I would like but we do want to be home for the holidays. Do you have suggestions on what to do in Maui with the girls. The Wailia Beach Villas look great! But are they too far from kaanapali beach where you say young women would like to go. Or is it centrally located and easy to get around with a rent a car. Are there any tours you would suggest? Is it easy to just drive around to see waterfalls and swimming holes? Is there a good place to see the whales or do we need to take a tour? Sounds like from others that we should save the helicopter ride for kauai? What about a luau? Surf lessons? snorkeling? I know, lots of questions but we want to get as much done as when can while we are there. We are pretty active and can relax more when we get to Kauai.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM

>>

You cannot reasonably go back and forth between Wailea and Kaanapali Beach - it's probably a 45-minute drive each way.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 02:06 PM

And the beaches all along that part of the coast (Wailea) are absolutely phenomenal!
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM

I'd suggest the Honua Kai if you want to be near Lahaina's Front Street (shopping, restaurants and a leetle bit of history left from the town's days as a whaling port). There are more restaurants and shops at Whalers Village mall. There is a boardwalk between the many hotels.

*I* would prefer Wailea. It's not as though there's nothing there! Three of Maui's top hotels are in Wailea, each with restaurants and bars, and Shops At Wailea has yet more. Immediately north is the beachtown of Kihei, with a more casual atmosphere.

It is more convenient to tour Haleakala, Road to Hana and Iao Valley from South Maui, but you can drive up to Kapalua in West Maui one day, stopping at Lahaina. If your girls were over 21 I'd be stronger for Kaanapali, but they are under-age for the nightlife.

I suggest a snorkeling expedition along the Maui coast or over to Lanai. If the whales have arrived, you'd see them that way. Or, take a dedicated whale-watch. (You are a tad early for their usual Jan. - Mar. season, when we see them often from shore.) Best snorkeling is from sandy beaches on Maui. Kauai and Oahu have the least good sealife; Big Island has the best. Blue Water Rafting departs the Kihei small boat launch near Wailea, and there are also opportunities out of Maalaea Marina.

Yes, it is easy to plan DIY touring, but you don't have all that much TIME, and your first day will be a blur as your body adjusts to the time change. You might do Haleakala and Upcountry plus Iao Valley in one go. You can drive Road to Hana or take a tour -- it's a 12-hour day if you make at all the scenic stops and hike the bamboo jungle. Do the drive up to piney Kapalua and south past Makena to where the bare lava meets the blue ocean. Great snorkeling beach in front of the Makena Beach Resort hotel -- almost always sea turtles. Wailea is one beach after the other.

Kauai and Big Island are my two *musts* for air tours, but weather may be a factor on Kauai in December.

Best luau in the state is a toss-up between Old Lahaina Luau and Feast At Lele, but don't feel you must do a luau -- or *anything*. Maui is good for surf lessons. There are ziplines. You can rent kayaks.

The best thing about Hawaii is just being there. (You'll be back!)
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM

>>

That's the truth!
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM

I write this from our room in Kauai. in the past 3 days we have done the following
1) napali coast boat ride - Liko kauai
2) Tubing the canal - Kauai Backcountry Adventures
3) kayaking the Wailua river to waterfall - Wailua Kayak Adventure

All excellent adventures that I would probably do again if I came back to kauai
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 07:44 AM

JNE
If you havent had enough of the beach in Kauai and Maui the Shutters in Santa Monica is fabulous. Santa Monica is full of fun and life in LA. Walking distance to the pier, downtown, the promenade, etc...We live in Southern Cali and it always delivers. Expect to see celebrity's lunching, dinning and maybe staying a day or 2.

http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com

Thanks for this thread...we will be on Maui Dec 14-25th. Was thinking of a couple of days on Kauai but with the weather posted here maybe we will just stay put? Will be with family on the island but want to stay either in Lahina, Kaanapali or Wailea for 5 days or so...cant decide. Like the night life but also like the upscale serene away from the noise. Condo is more spacious. So many choices. Flights out of San Diego were only $274 rdt pp during the holidays.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 07:56 AM

this is my style....yummm but do I want to stay in Hana away from Kaanapali or Lahina?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ui_Hawaii.html
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Cyn, isn't that hotel in Paia, not Hana? If so, it's a very good location - Paia is a laid-back beach town fairly near the airport, before the road to Hana.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Paia Inn is right on the main drag. Tiny rooms. Enough noise that they provide a 'white noise' machine! Consider the cottages at Mama's Fish House if you want this (rather 'hippy') area. Not a good swimming/snorkeling area but a wind surfer's heaven.

This just isn't the best time to enjoy Kauai. Hana will be getting wet, too. (Also Hilo on Big Island.) I'd stay from Kahana south on Maui. Actually *I* stay in South Kihei Jan. - Feb. I prefer a low-rise, low-density condo to the tall buildings and touristy traffic in Kaanapali. If you want quiet and a beach, you don't want to stay IN Lahaina Town. (Much of Kaanapali has a Lahaina zip code though.)

You should find inexpensive lodgings and rental cars in early December. (Just as you found bargain air!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -