Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for Hotel Recommendations in Hilo area and Kona in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:17 PM
David Chambers

Staying a total of three days on the Big Island and looking for a nice hotel/location in the Hilo area and Kona in March. We are looking for any feedback of hotels that you could recommend. Also, would appreciate any suggestions for things that are 'must see' while there?

Thanks,

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:33 PM
Laurie

I thought the post "3 Islands..." might be helpful so I brought it to the top.

Give me some idea of what you are looking for in a hotel and I'll try to help.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Cheryl

Laurie, I am also going to the Big Island in March and would like to stay on the Kona side of the island. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have! Please contact me personally. Thank you!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Beth

David,

We stayed at the Royal Kona. It isn't a fancy place but it is close to the center of Kona and it was pretty cheap and has great ocean view rooms with huge lanais. When we were there last year, the only way to see the lava from the volcano was to fly over it but the flight was great!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:22 PM
anne

David: Hope you enjoy your trip. What's your price range for accommodations? There are a wide variety of choices in both areas. I don't know if Hilo proper is important, but consider the Volcanoes National Park area. Lots of inns & bed and breakfast choices. For Kona, we *loved* the Mauna Kea, but the Hapuna Prince is run by the same group and is slightly less expensive. The main disadvantage is it's the furthest hotel group up the coast - the Hilton, etc, are more in the middle of the coast. Alternatively, we had a great time at a bed & breakfast in the Kona coffee area - I believe it's the Honolua Inn. It was owned by the publisher of Hawaii's main newspaper. Awesome place & views - about a 20 minute ride to the beach. Hope this helps. Aloha! Anne

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:58 AM
Joe

Regretably we stayed at the Royal Kona Resort in Hilo. The only plus was convenient location. The downside is that it is a shabby and dirty hotel, i.e., 1" rust ring around base of toilet bowl, tile in bathroom pulling away from the wall, carpets that you don't want to walk on barefoot and more. It was terribly noisy as the tour buses with bus loads of Japanese tourists come and go at all hours and in spite of the fact we were on the 5th floor we still heard them as early as 6:00 a.m. and as late as 10:00 p.m. Now I know why it is the "former" Hilton. You may want to check what others have said about this hotel by doing a search in this forum.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:02 AM
Joe

P.S. Clarification on my previous post. The buses were noisy, not the Japanese tourist.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:28 AM
ray

The hotels in Hilo are really only AAA 2 star properties and therefore are good for the budget conscious. Recommend the Naniloa. Kona has a wide range of hotels from inside Kona town to along the western shore with the expensive resorts. Recommend the Hotel King Kamehameha in Kona Town. It is decent and reasonable in price. If you want to spend some money for a memorable hotel experience, stay at Four Season Hualaulei, Mauna Lani Hotel or the Orchid at Mauna Lani. These hotels are in resort complexes about 40 minutes from Kona Town and about 10 minutes from the tourist area in Waiakaloa. Don't recommend the Hilton at Waiakaloa because it is just too big and touristy. Westin Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beach are fine hotels but more isolated from Kona. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:19 PM
Laurie

Cheryl...I was not successful in sending an email to the address provided. Post your questions here if you like, I will check back.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:43 AM
David

Stayed at the Hapuna Prince on Kohala Coast and loved it! Hapuna Beach (hotel beach) is consistantly rated one of the top beaches in Hawaii and all of U.S. While it's a approx. 20-25 minutes N. or Kona, it's also that much closer to the other side of the island. Enjoy!!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Megan

I just returned from the Big Island, stayed at Mauna Kea. Loved it, smaller, not crowded, awesome beach. The weather there was the best on the island, while it was overcast and not very sunny in Kona, it was always beautiful up at our hotel and the surrounding area. Easy drive to the other nearby resorts, Mauna Lani, Hilton Waikoloa, etc. The drive from Mauna Kea to Hilo for our day at the volcano was beautiful (was a lot to do in one day, though). Also liked the Waimea area 10 miles inland from the hotel, rode a horse on Parker Ranch, did a great hike through a forest to the beginning of the Waipi'o Valley (the "White Road" hike).

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Becky

Three days is not much time, but I recommend 1 night in Hilo at the Hilo Hawaiian. Get an ocean view room without fail, for an unforgettable view of Hilo Bay and Coconut Island from your balcony. Hotel is not new, but very Hawaiian, and next to a lovely Japanese Garden. Also has a frig in room. Hawaiian lounge entertainment there, or walk next door to Uncle Billy's. Be sure to see Rainbow Falls while in Hilo. Heading NW from Hilo, Waipio Valley has a beautiful view, and farther along, as you head toward Kona, take a look at the Hilton resort at Waikoloa, it is amazing. From there, head South to the Kona area.
In Kailua-Kona, I recommend King Kamehameha Hotel, as it is pretty central and offers everything close by for your short stay.
Personally, I feel a helicopter ride to the volcano is more time-wise in your case. You will already have a feel for the vastness of the lave fields from your drive through the Waikoloa area.
The swimming beach at King K. Hotel is acceptable, but the boat harbor is right next door. By car, however, there are nice small beaches all down the Kona coast, plus one with great snorkeling. Tourist info is everywhere, so read up and ask your helpful hotel concierge(s) for any help you need.
On a budget? Buy an Entertainment Publications 2 for 1 book for Hawaii at entertainment.com
Have fun!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 04:35 PM
kalena

I used to live in Hilo. A very nice Hilo lodging option is the Shipman House, a beautiful restored Victorian in a quied cul-de-sac near the Wailuku River. Check their web site:

http://hi-inns.com/shipman/

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Vivian

I would also like to recomment the Hilo Hawaian Hotel. It is located on minutes from the airport. We also had a great food and entertainment at uncle Billy's. Must see volcano park and Botanical garden. We also toured the mac nuts farm. The zoo is very nice and it free. There are to many falls to list. Each one breathtakingly beautiful. We did not tour Kona.