Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for Hotel Advice in NYC... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-hotel-advice-in-nyc-328316/)

Little_Man Jun 17th, 2003 02:55 PM

Looking for Hotel Advice in NYC...

Hi all,
Yaay! My family might be able to tag along w/ my spouse to New York on his business trip. The new Westin Times Sq. looks neat and the Ritz Carlton Battery Park has good special rates, but I wonder about the location for these hotels to take 2 teens sightseeing? They've never been to New York, and I haven't since I was a kid, so any kind of info. is appreciated! Thanks!

sgbslo Jun 17th, 2003 03:23 PM

The location of the Westin Times Square is more suited to your sightseeing needs. The Ritz Carlton Battery Park is very nice, but will be a little far from many of the places you'll want to see.

Caltraveler Jun 17th, 2003 07:25 PM

I agree with sgbslo. Westin Time Square has a much better location. It's right in the center of everything. The Battery Park area is like a ghosttown after the work crowd goes home.

mitchdesj Jun 18th, 2003 02:21 AM

We were stuck for a few nights at the Ritz in Battery Park and it was very inconvenient ;
we waited forever in a taxi line to get to the theater................ it's very much out of the way.....
I love the Benjamin hotel, it's very well located.

Little_Man Jun 18th, 2003 07:11 AM

thanks,
since I started looking around, the Westin Times Square prices have gone up a lot... Anyone have an opinion on the Embassy Suites? I know that's downtown, but maybe a little more convenient than the Ritz Carlton Battery Park? Darn, the Ritz looked really nice and w/ American Express had a $159 rate, but I guess that's due to location...
Thanks again, everyone!

sgbslo Jun 18th, 2003 09:09 AM

I think you'll have the same location handicaps with the Embassy Suites as you would w/the Ritz Carlton.
Try Quickbook or Hotels.com to see if you can find some midtown hotels in your price range.

internetwiz Jun 18th, 2003 09:12 AM

For what it's worth, a friend of mine got a room at the Westin on Priceline. You can go to biddingfortravel.com and see the winning bid for that zone before you bid.

Little_Man Jun 18th, 2003 09:53 AM

hey, thanks!
quickbook has better rates right now for the Westin Times Sq. than anywhere I've found. (I'm not enough of a risk taker for Priceline :)! Thanks for the info!
Any more opinions/hotel reviews on these or any other NYC hotels are really appreciated!
frankie

mclaurie Jun 18th, 2003 10:39 AM

I understand your reluctance for Priceline but their 4* hotels in upper midtown/central park are all good. I'd seriously give that a shot. Go to biddingfortravel.com where they list the hotels by area & explain the bidding process. Otherwise look at the Gorham on quickbook.com

abram Jun 19th, 2003 06:08 PM

We love the Doubletree Suites Times Square, at the corner of 47th St and 7th Ave, in the heart of the theater district. Having a fridge and a microwave means you can keep some groceries in the room. A suite is great for a family.