Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for great campground or cabin rental on great swimming lake in VT or NH (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-great-campground-or-cabin-rental-on-great-swimming-lake-in-vt-or-nh-623540/)

Jenski Jun 14th, 2006 02:12 PM

Looking for great campground or cabin rental on great swimming lake in VT or NH

Hi-my husband and I want to spend a week in either Vermont or New Hampshire at the end of June. We haven't decided yet if we will camp or rent a cottage but either way we want to be on or near a great lake that we can swim in, and be surrounded by beautiful nature but we don't want to be in too remote a location. I've heard Lake Sunapee in NH is beautiful...I'd love your ideas. Thanks in advance.

RetiredVermonter Jun 14th, 2006 02:22 PM

I suggest Emerald Lake State Park, VT (near Manchester, VT). Lovely mountains, swimming, boating, fishing, leantos, tent sites.

But it may be cold for swimming in

June!

Vermonter

bm Jun 14th, 2006 03:30 PM

I was going to suggest any of the campgrounds on the Lake Champlain Islands. You're close enough to Burlington, Plattsburgh, and/or Montreal if you want to shopping trips etc.
Emerald St. Park is a good suggestion as well. Manchester and all it's outlet shopping glory is down the road 10 or so minutes.

dfrostnh Jun 15th, 2006 03:46 AM

Squam Lake in Holderness is probably the most beautiful lake. It was made famous by the movie On Golden Pond. I don't think there are any campgrounds and there isn't a public beach. There's a lot of old "cottages" with lots of shorefront and very little commercial development. If you can find a cottage at this late date, I would grab it. It's not too far from Plymouth NH, a college town, and actually not very far from the big lake Winnipesaukee. You should be able to find something on Lake W or Lake Winnisquam but the cottages will range from on the road in high traffic areas to wonderful remote feeling cottages on back roads. For Lake Winnipesaukee I would look in the Wolfboro, Center Harbor, Moultonboro area. Wolfboro is a lovely town on the north side of the lake which puts you very close to the mountains and North Conway area. I would avoid anything in the Weirs Beach area since there is a huge amount of boat traffic, arcades, and congestion. This is the area where people in cars and boats like to "cruise". There are rental agencies for summer cottages and they will range anywhere from small, old campy types to elegant summer homes. Lake Sunapee would also be nice but again, there are cottages in busy areas and cottages in quiet areas. You would have to have the rental agency give you a good description of the area. The old favorite for camping is Silver Lake State Park. The lake is beautiful but shallow. Great for families. It's near the Conway area so you have the convenience of being in the mountains. If you want quiet you don't want to be near anyplace that rents jet skis. Nothing is remote in NH anymore unless you are up near Canada. I think there is more to do in the Lake Winnipesaukee area since there is summer theater in Meredith and Tamworth. Sunapee isn't very far from New London which also has a summer theater and small college. You should be able to find rental agencies on either lake by googling "rental cottages in NH".

kaudrey Jun 15th, 2006 06:22 AM

I second dfrostnh's recommendation of Wolfeboro. We vacationed in cabins there every year as kids, and my parents now live there. It's a cute town with several lakes (not just the big one), and lots of cabins for rent. They book up fast, though. I'm sure there must be campgrounds there, but I'd have to look...

Karen

Jenski Jun 15th, 2006 10:40 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I love the idea of Squam Lake or Wolfboro. Guess this time of year you really can't go wrong as it's so beautiful in both states.

stars12 Jul 17th, 2006 06:24 PM

Jenski, where did you end up going in NH in June?