Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for fun/unique place for pre-theater drinks in Mid-Town NYC

May 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

My mom and I will be in NYC next weekend. We have tickets to 2 shows on Saturday. Altar Boyz matinee (2pm curtain) and Boeing Boeing (8pm curtain).

In between the 2 shows I was hoping to kill some time and instead of aimlessly walking around for 4 hours or going back to the hotel room (we are not early diners and we have post-theater dinner reservations),I thought it would be nice to have a drink or 2...I don't think that would take up 4 hours, but maybe at least 2 hours.

I worked in this area 15 years ago, but have not been back in that many years and I can probably safely assume the hotels in the area all have lounges we could go to, but I thought maybe someone here would have a suggestion for an interesting place to have a few cocktails.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
May 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I've never been but I hear Chez Josephine is interesting. Someone here recently mentioned it so maybe you can do a search.

Here's the website:
http://chezjosephine.com/welcome.html

May 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM

The Algonquin is always interesting.
May 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM

I've always wanted to go to the King Cole Room in the St. Regis Hotel but I don't know if it's geographically good for your plans.
May 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM

What about the outside (but covered by a roof) bars behind the New York Public Library in Bryant Park?

Thingorjus
May 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM

The lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental hotel in the Time Warner building has a lovely view. It's a bit out of your way (Columbus Circle) but you have the time.

Going into the park and having a drink at the Boathouse is another idea.

Top of the Rock for the view and then a drink at the Rainbow Room is probably the closest good option. I love the King Cole bar and the Algonquin lobby lounge, but if it's a nice day, it would be more interesting to be some place with some sort of view I think. For that matter, the revolving bar at the top of the Marriott Marquis hotel is another option.
May 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Bryant Park Grill is also a good idea.
May 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM

I'll be there too, but Boeng Boeng on Friday, Country Girl & MacBeth on Saturday, November on Sunday. So drinks all around. Thanks for the suggestions NYers!
May 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM

SO that there's no confusion, the bar behind the library mentioned by Proenza_Preschooler is the same Bryant Park Grill mentioned by mclaurie, and it is a good suggestion....if the weather is agreeable.
While I'm a huge fan of Chez Josephine, I wouldn't recommend it as the site for a drink or two between shows. There's really no bar area and sitting outdoors facing the 42nd Street traffic isn't my idea of a great place to have drinks between shows!
May 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Since your two shows are on 50th just west of 8th and then 48 just east of 8th, I'd assume you don't want to track all over Manhattan looking for a drink. Some above have recommended some great places, but the question is do you want to walk 20 minutes to get someplace, then turn around and spend 20 minutes walking back? I guess you have plenty of time if you do.

Some of us are getting together on Friday, June 13 and our fair weather plan is the outdoor Worldwide Plaza. That's right behind your entrance to Altar Boyz. That would be pretty hard to miss! If the weather's nice you can't do much better than sitting out there with a margarita or something else. On the corner of 50th and 8th is Thalia, a nice
atmospheric cocktail lounge area within the restaurant.
Just beyond that on 50th is Natsumi, a contemporary Japanese place with a separate cocktail lounge.
Even further on 50th (between 6th and 7th) is Bobby Van's Grill, a nice upscale bar with great drinks.
Four blocks north of Altar Boyz on 54th, just off 8th is Divine Bar -- a lively fun place -- we were surprised that it seemed mainly women there -- they have great snacks with drinks too. It's a fun place.
May 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM

My wife loves the bars in Bryant Park.
Great suggestion Thin!!
Patrick's choice of Thalia is also a good one.
May 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions!

Somehow I had a feeling Thin and NeoPatrick would toss out recommendations I would like. And they didn't fail me.

I'm especially drawn to the Byrant Park Grill and Divine Bar recommendations.

We don't mind having to walk 20 minutes in each direction and we will have plenty of time for that.

I will do a trip report to let you know where we went!