looking for family friendly lodging near Capitol Reef

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning 10 day loop in southern utah. We have two nights at Zion, then two at the Northern Rim, then two nights at Bryce. We are looking at spending a couple of nights near capitol Reef/escalante. We would like to stay at a place with kitchenettes . Any suggestions for lodging or particular outings that are not to be missed/
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM

I can't recommend a place because we always camp, but check out Torrey, Utah for lodging near Capitol Reef.

Make sure you drive Scenic Hwy 12 from Bryce to Captiol Reef. Since you have such a short time I would concentrate on spending the time in the National Parks. There are other places of interest along the way but the National Parks offer the best bang for your time!

Utahtea

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:31 AM

I stayed at Chuckwagon Lodge in Torrey and it was very nice. The cabins have small kitchens, I believe. I stayed in the motel. Great pool, lots of trees. Huge amount of TV channels, small store/bakery on site. Across the street are the post office and a nice gift shop. austinchuckwagonmotel.com

I loved Torrey - tiny, historic, and tree shaded. A great place to rest and rejuvinate before heading off to the red rock.

Scenic Drive into the park and hikes through Grand Wash etc. not to be missed. All info at the Park headquarters. You can pack a lunch at Capitol Reef Resturant down the street.

I hope you enjoy Torrey as much as I did.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:42 AM

I might add that the picnic ground at Capitol Reef is in an old orchard. It is irrigated and grass covered under the trees.

We stayed at the Wonderland Inn, but as far as I know it is a standard motel, no kitchens.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:50 AM

Excellent suggestion, Senior.
The correct url is:
http://www.austinschuckwagonmotel.com/
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM

We liked the Wonderland Lodge when we were there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. I'll try chuckwagon. Have any of you stayed at Pioneer Lodge near Zion? thanks

Lita
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM

The cabins at the Chuckwagon Lodge look great on the web site. Take a look and see what you think. The fact that they have 2 bed rooms is a nice feature.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM

Here's another recommendation for The Chuckwagon. I stayed there this past late Aug -- loved Capitol Reef! You don't mention your dates; I had a highly memorable meal at Cafe Diablo [which opens after winter & closes in Oct.] after being directed to watch the sunset from Panorama. If you have AAA, check out the Colorado/Utah TourBook. It's all in there under Torrey, Utah.