Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for Dallas hotel recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-dallas-hotel-recommendations-540828/)

scarboroughmom Jun 30th, 2005 07:37 PM

Looking for Dallas hotel recommendations

My husband and I are planning a getaway weekend this fall. My husband wants to stand on the grassy knoll and visit the book depository. We would like to find a hotel that is convenient to that part of Dallas. We would like a luxury hotel. We are going without the kids, so we would like something a little romantic. We would also like a convenient restaurant that serves a great breakfast.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

ChristieP Jul 1st, 2005 04:34 AM

FYI: all of the JFK attractions in Dallas are in the West End. The book depository museum is called The Sixth Floor.

The Mansion at Turtle Creek is the most highly-regarded luxury hotels in Dallas. Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah stayed there recently! Their restaurant is also extremely good. (It is also extremely expensive...)

Beyond that, the Fairmont is downtown and is very nice. It would be very convenient and walkable to the West End.

The Wyndham Anatole is not far away (if you have a car), and it is very elegant and luxurious. I know it has an indoor pool, too.

TxTravelPro Jul 1st, 2005 06:30 AM

I still like ZaZa but you may not...
You should read the reviews for the following hotels on tripadvisor.com

Hotel ZaZa
The Adolphus
The Melrose Hotel
The Magnolia Hotel
The Mansion on Turtle Creek
The Crescent Hotel
The Fairmont

You should be able to get enough information to make a decision.
They are all nice hotels, it just depends on your personal taste.

missypie Jul 1st, 2005 06:41 AM

The Adolphus....Ornate in an old world sort of way. You would be able to walk to the grassy knoll.

Second choice would be the Fairmont...you could also walk from there. The rooms are nice; a friend got a really good deal on a suite there. The Fairmont is also in very close walking distance to the art museum and the new Nasher Sculpture Garden.

Very close to downtown is Hotel ZaZa. That is probably what I'd pick. The rooms are way cool, in a pretty sexy way. It's also in the "Uptown" area, which has more trendy restaurants than downtown.

Magnolia would be fine, too.

Skip the Anatole. It's right on the highway and too "convention-y".

Cyonara Jul 1st, 2005 06:42 AM

We loved the Adolphus, c. 1910, which is downtown next to Neiman Marcus. Our corner room was spacious and luxurious (and very much updated) and the public areas are really impressive, with a stately English mansion decor, where high teas are held, attended by women in requisite flowered gowns and broad-brimmed hats. The French Room (I may have that name slightly wrong) is a first-class restaurant. The place most definitely has a romantic, intimate feel for a pretty big hotel. It would not be unhandy to Dealey Plaza.

krisbtx Jul 1st, 2005 07:01 AM

Just a word of advice: I work in the building right next to the Fairmont (the big green pointy building), so if you stay there, please be sure to close your drapes, especially during office hours. You wouldn't believe the things we've seen from our office windows. Makes for an interesting workday, though.

Back on topic: Hotel Zaza and the Fairmont are definitely within walking distance of most of the downtown attractions.

Jane_R Jul 1st, 2005 07:32 AM

Hi scarboroughmom:

Do you plan to get a car while in Dallas? I would say all the hotels mentioned in the responses are convenient to the area. But, Dallas is pretty spread out so if you want to do any other sight-seeing, I would recommend getting a car. For example, even going between Uptown and Downtown (while technically, not that far away from each other)would be more convenient with a car.

I loved the Melrose Hotel and their hotel restaurant was great for breakfast and the bar is fun place to hang out for drinks. The hotel has an old world/boutique feel to it. The Fairmont, to me, seems like any other standard hotel. Nothing too unique about it.

Jane

missypie Jul 1st, 2005 10:09 AM

Hey krisbtx, I'm over in Bank of America Plaza...all we can ever see is the pool at the Hampton Inn. (We're way to high to see in the windows.)

scarboroughmom Jul 12th, 2005 05:29 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think that we are going to try the Mansion at Turtle Creek.