Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for clean, reasonable place to stay near Mendocino, CA in Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 04:38 AM
carriem

We are going to Mendocino soon and I am looking for a clean, safe place to stay near Mendocino for a reasonable price. The two hotels I found are a bit above our price range. I would definitely also consider other areas close to Mendocino to stay...HELP!!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Gail

Afraid I can't give you a direct recommendation , but until further help comes along I would suggest looking at Ft Bragg just about 10 miles above Mendocino. There is a large range of price options here. I belive their web site is www.fortbragg.com. Perhaps this in conjunction with a AAA guide will start you in the right direction. {At least it will get you back to the top of the first page.}Good Luck. By the way , the harbor at Ft Bragg was the "New England village" for that Angela Landsbury TV show.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Kathy

Saw your post inquiring about the Vista Manor Motel also--while you don't define what price range you consider reaasonable, I do think you can find newer and nicer places that the Vista Manor that represent better value for money spent. It's been there a long time and always used to be quite expensive when it was one of the "only games in town". Maybe the rates have changed with the construction of newer places. The North Cliff just opened at the south edge of town, and I suspect they might have good rates in that the opening was delayed for a long time due to litigation between the city and the developer.
As far as your concern for safety, I have lived in the area for over twenty years and have yet to hear of tourists getting mugged, etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:45 PM
NameYour

Instead of having everyone try to guess at how YOU define "reasonable" and that you have found 2 hotels that are above your price range, why not just give people your price range.
The town of Mendocino is pricey, period.
Your only other option is Ft. Bragg and you have been given a website for it. It offers a wider range of lodgings.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:12 AM
Rain

Isn't the Mendocino Hotel reasonable? I think they have maybe one room that's under $100.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:03 AM
Kathy

The Mendocino Hotel is one of the pricier places around--especially if you consider what you get for $ spent. If they do have rooms for less than $100, it is bound to be one of their rooms that share a bath down the hall.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 10:27 AM
Tinder

You might also consider a place in the Anderson Valley, about a 30 mile drive from Mendocino. There are reasonable bed and breakfasts in the valley, plus fantastic wine tasting, and the trip to Mendocino is a gorgeous drive though redwoods, then up the coast. You can't miss!

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 03:17 PM
carriem

Thank you for all of your responses...Sorry I failed to define reasonable, I guess I was in too big of a hurry and forgot.