Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking For Anyone Familiar With (Northern?) New Jersey-Thanks!

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Good afternoon and Happy Friday to all!!!

Next week I will be staying in the Marriott in Somerset, New Jersey to attend an event at the Garden State Exhibit Center. The hotel claims: “We are located directly next door to the Garden State Exhibit Center.”

Im wondering if anyone is familiar enough with this area to know whether “directly next door” means Ill be able to quickly walk back and forth between the two buildings or whether it means Ive got to walk down a highway and across a runway…to get back here and have you smile at my ******* face. Sorry, I slipped into “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” there for a minute! Hahah!

But really, can I walk right next door no problem? Ive got a 45 minute lunch break during the event at GSEC and Id like to walk back to my room during that time without feeling too rushed.

Thank you advance and have a wonderful weekend!!

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM

A quick call to the Marriott would answer this question.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:49 AM
GoTravel

I've stayed at the Doubletree which is a few feet from the Garden State exhibit Center and don't remember seeing the Marriott being that close.

I would call the Marriott as starrsville said because I don't remember it being that close. More like across the street? I could be wrong.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM

By next door - well, it's about 1/3 of a mile from the Marriott on the other side of Rt 287. Not a quick walk back & forth. Put the two address into Mapquest and see for yourself.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM

Well, I actually stayed at this hotel recently, and while I didn't walk all the way around the building, I didn't actually see anything nearby that looked like a big convention center (nothing near the entrance / driveway at least) Come to think of ot, there wasn't a whole lot of signage for the Exhibit center either
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh crap (can I say that on here?)!

You guys are right...I put in the 2 addresses in google maps:

HOTEL LOCATION:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...42915&t=k&om=1

GSEC LOCATION:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...42915&t=h&om=1

>sigh<

Too late now...thanks for your input guys...

It makes me mad that the hotel says GSEC is directly next door but I guess its my own fault for not verifying sooner...

>sigh<
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM

No need to insert the links. Only you need that info.

If you include long links in the future, go to www.tinyurl.com first to convert them into "tiny url"s. Long urls can mess up the Fodors display screens.

You can always change your reservation if you find a closer (connected) hotel.

Good luck on the exam.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
GoTravel

I'm sure the Marriott has a shuttle that runs constantly.

I know the Doubletree has one and I used it quite regularly to get back and forth to New Brunswick to I could take the train to Manhattan and back.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM

I don't think the Marriott shuttle will work for her 45 minute lunch break. No guarantees that she can leave and get back in time.

Using google maps I found several closer hotels should be easily walkable (.1 mile). I'd change my reservation if I could.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there is no hotel connected to the property where the convention center is located. This is in an area of Somerset that is comprised largely of big office buildings with grounds around them and smaller warehouse/office type industrial real estate. Any hotels in that area are going to be freestanding, but nearby. As GoT mentioned, there is likely to be a shuttle provided in which case you could get back to your hotel within a few minutes.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Good afternoon!

I just wanted to update this thread in hopes that it might one day help another traveler!

The Marriot (NOT the Courtyard Marriott) is absolutely within walking distance to the GSEC. Something to watch for though is that the Marriott has two buildings: one is a tall tower, which is further from the GSEC, and one is a smaller building, right next to the GSEC. In fact, there is a little pathway from the smaller building right over to the GSEC. Also, the Holiday Inn Express is directly across the street from the GSEC.

Just a note: I drive from the GSEC to the smaller Marriott during lunch and arrived back at the hotel the same time people who walked arrived-it really is that close!