looking for alaska travel tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a 1 weeks trip to alaska from 7/2205 to 7/31/05. So far I've booked 2 nts anchorage, 2 nts kenai, 2 nts seward. I booked a rental car for 4 nts, so I plan on drving from anchorage to seward then back to anchorage. Any suggestons for the best scenic drive. From anchorage I'm taking the coach to denali,2 nts @mckinley village lodge, then its off the fairbanks for 1 nt by RR. so far I booked the northwestern fjords cruise. I know that's a lot of traveling but I thought since it's only about 127 miles from anchorage to seward we wouldn't have to backtrack back to the hotel. So my question is what would be the best places to see and do while on the road. In denali which flight tour would be best? Has anyone taken the talkeetna aero taxi w/ glacier landing?
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear 88:

There is only one way from Anchorage to Seward & Seward to Kenai, so don't worry. I cannot help you with Denali etc. We were in Seward and the Kenai Pennisula about 5 years ago. We did the 8 hour Kenai Fjords trip which was great. The NW trip is supposed to be even better. While in Seward we visited the Exit Glacier and the Sevey family Idita-ride dog sled(on wheels) trip. The rest of our trip was in Soldotna for fishing, but we did take a flight tour over the Harding Ice Field which was also fantastic.

Try topping your question tomorrow morning. You may get more help.

Have a great trip, and bring lots of $$$$. Alaska is expensive.

MichelleY
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM

PS - Distances in Alaska are deceiving. Although it is only 127 miles to Seward, it will probably take 3 hours. Slow traffic and construction. So plan extra time.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the driving tip.

If you've been to denali national park, can you suggest which of the tours is better, the guided tour or the park shuttle bus. Would the park shuttle bus be worth going on the 11 hr shuttle going to Wonder Lake. So many decisions and so little time...
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Dear 88:

Sorry, I've never been to Denali. Do a search above by clicking on Alaska and see what comes up.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM

topping for 88 ----
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Sid

Everything I've heard is that the Tour buses aren't worth the extra money. THe Park Shuttle is great, just make sure you pack drinks and food. We did the 8 hour ride to Fish Creek. That was plenty for us. We saw lots of wildlife. If you think you can handle the extra hours to Wonder Lake than I would. It is supposed to be amazingly beautiful.

And Michelle is right about driving times. We left Seward yesterday at 2:20 pm, stopped just a few quick times and it took us till 5:45.