Search

North Conway Winter Weekend - Non Athletic Activities

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Conway Winter Weekend - Non Athletic Activities

Hi All,
Our group of friends is making our annual early February trip to the North Conway area to cross country ski, but this is a bad year for some of us, healthwise (shoulder surgeries, bad ankle sprains, etc.). Although a few of us won't be able to ski, we still want to join our friends for the weekend. As one of the temporarily physically challenged, I am looking for alternative means of occupying ourselves, while the more healthy among us are skiing.

Does anyone have ideas for non-athletic interesting/fun activities? We are an active group of 60ish folks that have a wide range of interests. We will not be happy spending the weekend indoors reading or shopping at the outlets!

Any help from the forum members would be much appreciated.
Tanzir
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM

There is a scenic railway excursion that departs from North Conway. That might keep you occupied for an hour or two.

If you have a car, and weather permits, the drive up Mt. Washington might be of interest to you. There's a small museum and exhibit at the top.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM

The Mt Washington Auto road is only open from May to October.

If there is snow, there are usually places that offer sleigh rides. Many of the ski resorts also have spa facilities.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks China_cat and Panecott. I'll check out the scenic railway.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:28 AM

The trains don't run again until Mud Season, mid-April. The Auto Road is also closed until mid-May, though you might be able to do a Snowcoach trip.

I assume from your post that you know from previous experience in the area that whatever you might want to do is entirely weather dependent and that you have seen enough of the local scenery that a simple circumnavigation of the notches wouldn't make it.

I don't think it is terribly far to Portland, ME, for a change of scene, nor is it far to Bethel for a very different change of scene. You might go up to the Balsams in Dixville Notch for lunch or to the AMC center in Pinkham Notch or Crawford Notch for some easy winter hiking to Lost Pond or out to Lowe's Bald spot.

Stop in at IME (International Mountain Equipment) to find out if there is any ice climbing going on near the highway (like Cathedral Ledge) to watch, not to do!

I envy you!
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM

Debany Salon in Jackson for facials, massages, nails and other types of pampering.... While you are in Jackson, visit one of the quaint cafes for a pastry/coffee; stop at Dutch Bloemen Winkel for some nice flowers for your room and stop by White Mountain Puzzles and work on a puzzel in your hotel room later...also see the covered bridge and Jackson falls - great photo opportunities! Have your friends ski at the Jackson touring center (great x-country skiing), then meeting for drinks/pizza at the Shannon Door Pub or for fine dining try the Wentworth Hotel (sing along with Judy in the lounge on Fri/Sat) or sit in front of the fire at the Inn at Thorn Hill for drinks/great appetizers!