Looking for a vacation destination of "some significance?"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a family vacation for myself & siblings & assorted spouses and many toddlers.

The 15 of us are scattered about in NJ, CA, Minnesota and Florida and are all willing to fly to any U.S. location for a week.

While we have discussed cruises and resorts, my one uptight sister-in-law is requiring a destination of "some significance" either historic, educational or geological.

She intends for her children to "get something out of this trip" other than family togetherness.

My immediate thought is the Grand Canyon but with all these toddlers it might not be a good fit. (Picture a stroller rolling off the path and over the edge....)

I would love to hear suggestions.

Please keep in mind the game plan is to stay in one location for the whole week, no change of venue, no major road trips.

~thank you kindly~

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:40 AM
GoTravel

New York City would work. Something for everyone.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM

What time of year?

How about San Diego? Sea World, Legoland, the zoo, the Wild Animal Park, beaches, baseball games (if summertime), history in Old Town? There's such a variety of things to see and do, you could easily split up and do different activities if you wanted. It's a very family-friendly city.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM

Forgot to mention that there are also several interesting museums (many or all of them kid-friendly) and botanical gardens in beautiful Balboa Park in San Diego.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
E

I feel like I'm suggesting this all the time lately, but how about Santa Fe? Should provide more than enough art, culture, food, hiking, shopping and scenery for everyone. There's even a great spa just outside town, Ten Thousand Waves.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM
TheWeasel

Not trying to be snarky here, but if your one sister-in-law is "requiring a destination of some significance", I think you should let her pick out several destinations, and the rest of the family can vote and decide where to go.

I'd hate to see anyone take the time to research locations, only to have one person put her foot down and say no to all of them, because they don't meet her "standards". Make her come up some options, and if she can't do it because she doesn't know anything about travelling and won't take the time to do any research, then she forfeits her right to complain.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons but again you will have to watch the toddlers near the thermal areas but Yellowstone is very stroller friendly.

Utahtea

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM

I think San Diego is a great idea. There's really something for everyone there from the zoo, to the great museums to Seaworld (swim with dolphins)and the weather is good most of the year (you don't say when this will be). There are also lots of options for renting condos or suite hotels. While NYC is terrific, it's so pricey now, especially with kids.

I would add Washington DC to the list depending on time of year. That would be a venue where no one lives.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:11 AM

Boston. A similar group of us was recently there for a family wedding and it can't be beat for historical and educational significance for all age levels.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM

I can't think of anything more "historic" or "educational" than D.C.

What cities have you guys already been to??
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM

How about the sister-in-law gets pushed into the Grand Canyon?

Agree that GC is bad location for little kids - not just safety, but not enough for them to do.

Second Boston vote (admittedly biased since I live here) - only issue might be expense of lodging, but air travel from places you mentioned should be fairly reasonable.

Hope sister-in-law is not thinking of toddlers getting some significance out of any destination.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:18 AM

I love San Diego, I love NYC, the national parks are wonderful....

But Boston is a great idea. Lodging is shockingly expensive there-- except for one charming property in the Back Bay: the Newbury Guest House. I can't rave enough about that place-- the great location, the friendly staff, the comfortable shabby-chic rooms (think B&B-level accomodations). It sells out weeks in advance, so I'd jump on planning there now. I'm toying with a Boston/Cape trip next year, and the Newbury Guest House is the ONLY lodging choice I'll call.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Gail's suggestion. Seriously, I admire your courage in taking on this nearly impossible task.

For what time of the year is this trip being planned? A week in Boston with toddlers in February is not my idea of a good time. No offense to Boston, which is a great city. I'm going to have to go with San Diego, although I don't know if it is "significant" enough for your sister-in-law.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM

gail, "How about the sister-in-law gets pushed into the Grand Canyon?" You beat me to it!

riverchick, just about anyplace in the US will have some historic, educational, etc significance, so come up with 2 or 3 places YOU want to go to, check their chambers of commerce of visitors centers for "significant" places near them, and tell the group to pick one. Personally, if this trip takes place in summer, I'd find a nice beach and relax while SIL totes the kids to signficant spots. But that's just me ;-)
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM

How about Williamsburg VA during the NON-winter months.

More than enough "significance" in the historic triangle, yet some "amusement" as well at Busch Gardens and the waterpark (I can never remember its name). Seems like a win-win situation.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM

The only thing of significance to a toddler is a happy family surrounding them with love and joy. What more does your sister-in-law want?

But since you asked, how about Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle, NH. Its a lovely resort with the requisite pools and restaurants. Right on the water - nearly all rooms have water views. Its nearby Portsmouth with its historic Strawberry Banks living museum. You can also take a drive over to Rye (just across the inlet) and go to Ordione State Park that has a lovely little science museum with a touch tank for toddlers. Portsmouth also has a terrific little children's museum. There are outdoor theater productions geared for kids. For the grownups there is shopping, fishing, sailing, kayaking, lobsters. The hotel has a nice spa and a beautiful golf course. You can also take a nice drive up to the White Mountains and go to Storyland which is the cutest amusement park geared for kids 8 and under.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your speedy replies!

Our trip will be next summer and I should have mentioned that we were all (except for the toddlers) born, raised and educated in the northeast so the whole NYC, DC and Boston thing is just way too close/familiar to feel like a getaway for the adults.

I will seriously look into the San Diego, Sante Fe and Yellowstone ideas.

Last year every one (except SIL and my poor dear brother) went to Key West and had a blast!

That is why I am hoping to TRY to accomodate her wishes, so that they will be inclined to join us, but maybe it is hopeless....

When my other brother got married in Minneapolis a few years ago, relatives came from all corners of the globe and we all stayed on the same floor of a downtown hotel. When my SIL checked in to that same hotel she SPECIFICALLY asked to be placed on a different floor.

We are not the Adams family!! We are
quite happy and normal...hhhmmmmm

Oh well, I will float some ideas to her in the next few months and if she is still throwing up objections I will plan ahead without her.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hawaii has a lot to offer historically and culturally, and your SIL would have to be a huge stick-in-the-mud to find fault with Hawaii!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:28 AM

NJrivershick--

I second San Diego...You could stay in La Jolla area (which is quite ritzy and has fabulous shopping) plus you could then go to the San Diego Zoo, and also the renovated San Diego downtown...

Another option would be The Grand Canyon AND Las Vegas ( for the adults)--that would be good for everyone.

Sante Fee is great but it is more an artsy community---
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM

I was thinking San Diego as well.
Another place that I don't think anyone has mentioned is Lake Tahoe - plenty to do there for everyone, has historical and geological significance. You guys could rent some condos or houses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -