Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a summer/retirement home. Cool summers a must - any suggestions?

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM
aggiemom

I live in Texas and there are many things I love about it but one thing I don't love is the summer. We're looking to check out a few destinations this summer to maybe rent first, then buy. I grew up on the East coast, then was spoiled by So. California weather for 20 years. So I'm looking for a place with moderate temperatures in the summer (low 80's max), relatively low humidity and housing under $300-400k. We love the mountains (skiing in winter would be a plus) and nature, lakes.
Ideally, we'd like to be within an hour of a larger airport.

Anybody have any suggestions??

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mountains of NC. Asheville or Boone area.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
$300-$400K will get you a comfortable house, nothing spectacular, but certainly comfortable, in many parts of the Puget Sound region - not central Seattle or yup suburbs, but Snohomish, Pierce, Kitsap counties, tons; even okay neighborhoods in Seattle itself. Skiing one hour, lakes, forests, culture, restaurants, a nice big airport - it's all here. No state income tax.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:06 AM
cd

aggiemom
If I were in your position, I would travel the summer months checking out southern CA, Oregon coast, mountains of Colorado, what fun that would be!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Northern New Mexico.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM

New Hampshire. My parents retired there about 8 years ago, and they love it. They have lake access, 5 acres of woods, and live an hour from the mountains for skiing. Lots of hiking in the area. They live in Wolfeboro, but anywhere around Lake Winnepesauki would be worth a look for you.

Karen
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Ditto Boone, N.C., also Blowing Rock, Flat Rock (esp. is you are interested in theater, NC State Playhouse is there), Hendersonville, Tuxedo, etc. This area is the best combination of small town living combined with cool mountain summer weather. I have spent many happy summers in the NC mountains, and my kids went to camp where we did as children. #3 son is leaving in two weeks for his 8th month in Tuxedo, and I welcome the time we spend in and around NC before and after his camp. Sis-in-law has a summer home in Montreat, and she loves that wonderful small town, although real estate there is hard to come by. If you like PUD's, there are some beautiful new golf course communities around Ashville that would fit your requirements to a "t."
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Also consider Highlands/ Cashiers area in NC.

I have a place not far away and keep a throw on the back of every chair (inside and out) and they are used every summer evening. I also keep a supply of flannel shirts and sweatshirts. People can't believe how cool it is at night in the mountains. Very low humidity. I planned to screen in the top porch but neighbors recommended I not. Could NOT believe that bugs would not be a problem - but they aren't. Beautiful warm summer days on mountain lakes and cool wonderful evenings around the chiminea.

The trick is to buy something in the higher elevations. I'm at over 3000 feet and it is amazingly cool for The South.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:18 AM

A lot of folks are recommending mountain destinations in the east. If you want daytime highs that don't get above the low 80's, I don't think you will find that in the east unless you are well above 3000' . Here in the mountains of New Hampshire, it was 85 yesterday. True, that is unusual for June, but I have been at 4500' in northern New Hampshire and had 90 degree temps. I can't imagine North Carolina being cooler than New Hampshire. True, it usually does cool down to the 60's at night, and 90 degree days are not common but they do happen( as do -30 nights in the winter!). I would think other parts of the country might be better suited to you.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:34 AM

You might find Port Ludlow, WA, suitable. It's a resort/retirement community on the edge of the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Summers there are beautiful and winters are mild. In mid-summer, you could head over to Sequim for the lavender festival--it's the lavender capital of the U.S. (for example, go to www.purplehazelavender.com)
There are some nice 2 bedroom den properties for sale in Port Ludlow at about the $300k mark ($298k to $325k). Go to www.johnlscott.com to check the listings.
As far as airports, it is more than an hour to SeaTac airport. Other than that, I think it fits your requirements very well.
My in-laws retired outside Austin, but couldn't cope with the heat and then moved to Sequim, WA. The property they bought turned out to be too high mainenance (it was several acres), so they then moved to Bellingham, WA (another possibility--but depending on traffic you'd be closer to Vancouver BC airport than to SeaTac). However, they always wanted to live in "wine country" so they moved to McMinnville, OR. Summers in the Willamette Valley are usually quite pleasant, but you can get temps well above 80 degrees--it's not unheard of to have a few 100 degree days each summer--but it usually cools off at night and it's not too humid. McMinnville is more or less an hour from Portland airport. Again mild (but damp) winters. And of course you are within an easy drive of the glorious Oregon coast or the Cascade mountains. Still a decent supply of houses under $400k.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Olympic penninsula, the ocean and sounds moderate your weather. Sequim (pronounced skwim) is an up and coming retirement area. It is in a rain shadow so more sunny days than not, and temps are not extreme I suggest you check it out.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Further up from Boone--Banner Elk. May not get to 80* in the summer. Beautiful vistas.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM
aggiemom

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I thought maybe the Puget Sound area, Oregon and someone just mentioned NC to me. Starrsville - I'm loving the idea of very few bugs! Low humidity, cooler. Sounds perfect! But then again, WA sounds wonderful too. (Liking the up and coming Sequim area.) And New Hampshire - hadn't really considered it but it's in the running now.

MassageDiva - is New Mexico really going to be cool enough in the summer? I assume maybe the Taos area??

Thanks, again everyone. I recognize several of you from the Europe board. Glad to have your opinions here, too. Now I'll have to get busy and get some airplane reservations.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Lots of folks are buying retirement homes / summer homes up in the Blowing Rock and Banner Elk areas. Prices are starting to move up significantly as folks are being priced out of coastal properties. If you're seriously considering NC mountain properties, I'd start looking soon. The Boone area isn't as posh as these other areas, but it's a good place to get more bang for your buck (we actually prefer the Boone area and its student influence).

I think these areas will give you want in regards to weather and nature. You'll be around 2 hours from a major airport (Charlotte). Asheville's the same distance.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I should add that all 3 of these towns are very close to each other (10 miles) so you can see them all in one day, but there's plenty of reasons to stay longer.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM

If you liked California a lot, why not go back? The north side of S.F. bay is cool all year, but never extremely cold. Small towns like Benicia are still a pretty good bargain. Another place a little bit warmer and also more expensive would be San Luis Obispo.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
aggiemom

Hey Wayne - we thought of going to Mammoth or Bishop (may be too hard to get to) or maybe just Arrowhead, but the prices are too high right now. Friends have a ski in - ski out condo in Mammoth, 1700 sq ft going for about $800k now. We moved from Orange County to Texas so we are completely spoiled with what $300k buys here!! (Our old house in OC is now on the market for $800k and is half the size and almost 30 years old.) Plus, a lot of it is pretty crowded. We're looking for something a little more laid back.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
aggiemom

Forgot to add - we won't need the 4000 sq ft we have now and are looking in the under 2000 sq ft range. Doesn't have to be fancy,but well built, a little bit of property would be nice. Maybe a view. Don't think any of CA could provide this under $300k unless you have a secret??

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Tess

Red Lodge, Montana is where my future summer home will be

My Texas aunt and uncle purchased a home there to escape the Texas summers--blissful place.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
aggiemom

topping...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information