Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a SUITE in san Diego, any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-suite-in-san-diego-any-suggestions-584743/)

allisonp Jan 24th, 2006 01:32 PM

Looking for a SUITE in san Diego, any suggestions?

the bedroom needs to be CLOSED OFF, not just merely around the corner (we have a sleep talker/crying in our family!). We'd love to be on the water/beach, so we can take lots of walks. Thanks! (we have a 2 year old and a 5 month old)

MonicaRichards Jan 24th, 2006 01:46 PM

Can you rent a condo? We have good luck renting from Dave Stubbs Realty in Solana Beach. Solana Beach is near Del Mar, and so although it is farther from Downtown San Diego it is closer to Legoland and the Wild Animal Park.

MonicaRichards Jan 24th, 2006 01:47 PM

Oh, and we've found the Marriott Residence Inn is the only chain that offers true suites. Theirs have separate bedrooms, living room and kitchenette. We love the two bedroom units.

jtrandolph Jan 24th, 2006 01:48 PM

I agree on the condo idea. Do some googles, I think you will find many. Also, you will not have to eat meals out except when you want to.

jtrandolph Jan 24th, 2006 01:53 PM

I just did a google and found lots. www.goin2travel.com/sandiego.htm has some 2 bedroom apts. or condos at Mission Bay which look very reasonable.

ltt Jan 24th, 2006 02:09 PM

check out the carpi by the sea on pacific beach
bahia on mission bay
embassy suites

Kennedy3 Jan 24th, 2006 06:49 PM

I second the Residence Inn by Marriott on Circle Drive, I believe. While you're not on the water, the place is essentially spectacular for the price.

It's a fairly new property with excellent service. Complimentary breakfast in the morning and a light supper 4 nights per week in the lobby.

They have 2 bedroom units with doors that close. They also have a kitchen with all the essentials. Great pool/spa area and a satisfactory exercise room.

You need a car if you stay here since there really aren't any tourist attractions within an easy walk.

I completely understand the need for doors that close. Been there, done that. That difficult stage in life passes fairly quickly in hindsight although at the time it seems it drags forever.

I always say as far as traveling with small children: Age Four Opens the Door. Corny, I know, but things will get easier for you in a couple of years.

Best of luck.

Barbara Jan 24th, 2006 08:58 PM

That would be the Residence Inn on Hotel Circle. It gets pretty consistently good reviews.

TxTravelPro Jan 24th, 2006 09:01 PM

I had a 2 bedroom suite at the Embassy Suites at La Jolla... very nice. It had a large living room and dining room with a bedroom on each side.

gail Jan 24th, 2006 09:38 PM

Does a sliding and locking door count as "closed off". If so, Best Western on Shelter Island.

capecodshanty Jan 25th, 2006 07:35 AM

Check out VRBO.com. They Have en enormous list of condio's for rent by the week, and sometimes daily by owner. DH and his golfing partner have rented one for their golfing trip in March, in LaJolla. Looks lovely, close to the beach and restaurants, and much less expensive per night than in a two bedroom suite! (They'd looked into that also).

Cadgirl Jan 25th, 2006 07:11 PM

I agree with TxTravelPro-- the Embassy Suites in LaJolla is very nice. I am 99% sure the bedroom was closed off . ES also has a downtown San Diego location according to their website- though neither of these are near the beach.

1JAR Jan 25th, 2006 07:38 PM

If you want to be on the water....
check the rooms at these places for a Suite with closed doors...I dont know if they do or don't but these are nice water locations.
Shelter Pointe Hotel
www.shelterpointe.
On San Diego Bay looking out the channel to the ocean. Plenty of walking and grass and picnic tables. Playground waterside. very convienent location to downtown Seaworld etc. Ask for rooms at the ocean end for best views. Lots of stuff to see on the Bay, close up Navy boats, cruise ships sailboats. and great big grassy park areas right on the water. Closer to Bay Club Hotel is a sandy area with firepits.
La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club or Sealodge. On the ocean beach in La Jolla. Walk out your hotel door onto the beach. Best French Chef and gourmet dinner at The Marine Room on the ocean nearby.
Paradise Pointe Hotel on Mission Bay. Again very big grassy area but the bay not the ocean. Or the Hilton on Mission Bay. Both have nicely landscaped area...
My favorite would be Shelter Point if has the room configuration you want...

ssm Jan 26th, 2006 07:31 AM

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Bay, San Diego. It is located right across the street from Seaport Village. I am 99.9% certain that the bedroom door closes off.

It is not 5 star by any means. But it is clean, centrally located and an overall good value. The free breakfast and evening happy hour are nice touches. It caters to families and the business travelers.