Moderate but nice hotel in New Orleans?

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Erica

Moderate but nice hotel in New Orleans?

Never been to New Orleans. Seeking a nice hotel that's not outrageously expensive. Doesn't have to be centrally located, but not too far from attractions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 10:32 AM
Meg

What are you looking for, Erica? A big chain hotel or a small b&b? Big hotels near the French Quarter include Marriot, Sheraton, Westin and Hyatt. B&B and small hotels in the Quarter include Lafitte Guest House (on the quiet end of Bourbon St.), Cornstalk Fence on Royal Sreet, Soniat House, St. Pierre Guest House, Hotel St. Helene, Dauphine Orleans, or Hotel de la Poste. Another suggestion would be the Quarter Esplanade on Esplanade Avenue that's been recently renovated and has reasonable prices. There are also hotels uptown around the Garden District. It really depends on what you are coming to N.O. for - if it's the French Quarter, stay in it or near it. If it's uptown, you can always take the street car downtown. Remember too, that winter is high season here so hotel prices are going up from their low summer rates. Please e-mail if you need any more info.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 10:41 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yes, the price you'll really depends on when you go. Whenever there is a convention, big football game (like Thanksgiving and New Years) or other event (Mardi Gras, Halloween, etc.) you can forget about paying anything less than rack rate.

There are good times for discounts though. Our favorite is in December. We seem to be able to get good rates then (especially over Xmas). We're going this year Dec 16-19 and got a great $89 rate at the Dauphine Orleans (we also booked 5 months in advance).

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 02:53 PM
Kate

I would NOT recommend staying at the Hotel St. Pierre. I stayed there last JazzFest and the chambermaid (I presume) stole about $300 in cash from our room. Also, the policeman who filled out my police report said that this "wasn't the first time" thefts from hotel rooms had occurred at that hotel. Be warned!

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 02:50 PM
TC

Erica; What ever you do, DO NOT stay at the Cornstalk Hotel. The antique furniture isn't meant to use. My husband had to sleep with his feet inbetween the footboard slates because the bed was so short. The hallways are noisy all night long. I never got one decent minute's sleep in the place. Its old, its dumpy, its overated by a long shot. I did see the De la Poste on our last visit and it looks wonderful. Wish we'd stayed there. Great location, beautiful courtyard and excellent rates. 800-448-4927 to check them out. Be warned that taking the street car into the Garden District is a fun tourist activity, however its not reliable transportation to a hotel. We stayed at the Garden District Lafayette Hotel on our last visit and always ended up walking or taking a taxi to the hotel because the lines and the wait for the street cars are so long. Two of my favorite restaurants: Mother's at 401 Poydras St across from the Windsor Court Hotel, for breakfast the old fashioned downhome kind. Don't miss the "black ham" or "debris". The other is Feelings Cafe in Faubourg Marigny district (not far from the French Quarter). Its very romantic and the food is delicious. One of the best meals I've ever had in NO and very inexpensive. Good Luck.

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Frank

The Holiday Inn in Gretna on the WestBank offers van transport to/from the ferry in Algiers which takes you driectly to Canal Street. Room rate is very reasonable, hotel has large pool.