Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a romantic place to stay near Orlando (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-romantic-place-to-stay-near-orlando-296100/)

syd Feb 1st, 2008 04:23 AM

Looking for a romantic place to stay near Orlando

I'm looking for a place for my husband and I to spend one night, prior to flying out of the Orlando airport. We're not interested in the big attractions. We enjoy gardens, good food, art, shopping and the beach although we may not want to drive from the beach to the airport.

I've searched the archives, and am still looking. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

321go Feb 1st, 2008 04:45 AM

Can't really help with hotels, but for gardens, Leu Gardens is beautiful www.leugardens.org and food, art, and shopping says "Winter Park" to me. http://www.ci.winter-park.fl.us/2005...re/index.shtml

Thomas6 Feb 1st, 2008 05:10 AM

There's no beach here, but good food and shopping are in abundance in Winter Park. I would recommend the Thurston House B&B for the overnight stay - it's small but beautifully restored with nice porches and looks over a little lake, with nice gardens surrounding it. We had a delightful night there on our way to the Keys.

Orlando_Vic Feb 1st, 2008 05:12 AM

Sorry, I can't help much with hotel and B&B recommendations because I live here. I do know that one of our fellow Fodorites (thurstonbb) operates Thurston House <http://www.thurstonhouse.com/>
which is very convenient to everything in Winter park.

According to the Orlando Sentinel's readers and restaurant critic, Scott Joseph, here <http://tinyurl.com/2pojjz> are the winners of the 2007 Foodie Awards for Best Romantic Dinner.

Also consider:

Le Coq Au Vin
4800 S. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32806
407-851-6980

Voted Best French restaurant by
Readers & Restaurant Critic

Grcxx3 Feb 1st, 2008 05:22 AM

Okay - I don't know my central Florida geography real well - but I remember a place my parents used to go to years ago. It's called Chalet Suzanne and it is in Lake Wales. I remember my mom saying that - at least back then - each of the chalets was decorated in different style, with dishes from different place settings.

They also make great soup!

Orlando_Vic Feb 1st, 2008 05:29 AM

Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales is 50-55 miles from Orlando.

NewbE Feb 1st, 2008 05:55 AM

We had lunch at Chalet Suzanne about a year ago, and I would give it a pass. It's past its prime, I'm afraid. Lunch was so grim, I can't imagine the accommodations are good.

I agree that Winter Park would be perfect for you, Syd--enjoy!

321go Feb 1st, 2008 06:53 AM

NewbE, what a shame about Chalet Suzanne!

Seconding Le Coq Au Vin. And another plug for one of central Florida's unknown jewels, the Charles Hosmer Morse museum in Winter Park. www.morsemuseum.org

Grcxx3 Feb 1st, 2008 08:26 AM

Thanks for the update NewbE. I have such wonderful photos of my mother from there - it just seemed so perfect and she loved it there. Oh well..........

syd Feb 1st, 2008 02:06 PM

Thanks for these responses. Winter Park looks like a great idea.

NewbE Feb 2nd, 2008 06:59 PM

I thought the cottages at Chalet Suzanne looked very charming indeed, if you squinted to avoid seeing the mildew and such--I can imagine how adorable they were back in the day, and how exotic a broiled grapefruit might have seemed to visitors, and how elaborate all the tropical plantings were. The lakeside setting IS special, and it would be wonderful if someone could turn the place around, especially since Bok Tower and Gardens is right next door, practically, and has been very nicely spruced up. (I bet for modern tourists, there just isn't enough to do thereabouts.) Maybe someday...

starrs Feb 2nd, 2008 07:10 PM

I can't think of a great place in Winter Park. What about the Portofino or the Royal Pacific?

Grcxx3 Feb 2nd, 2008 07:51 PM

NewbE - what about the soup? Is it still good?

I remember stopping at Chalet Suzanne back in the early 70s - when we were taking a trip thru Florida. We easily took back a case of soup for us and other friends in New Orleans. Okay - I'm not a real soup fan, but everyone else raved about it.

bnbtraveler Feb 3rd, 2008 03:53 AM

You can buy the soup mail order/internet. Did this for older family and they complained about the sodium. Anyway, Winter Park is great and all our guests love wandering around there. From the Morse Museum, Scenic Boat Tour, just strolling the avenue with it's restaurants and shops....fabulous getaway! Bosphorous is a great Turkish restaurant on Park Avenue in Winter Park. There are many more choices as well.

bnbtraveler Feb 3rd, 2008 03:54 AM

I did forget to say that Winter Park/Maitland is only 18 miles from the airport, about 25 minutes if not in big traffic time. DH works right outside the airport and from us in Maitland it takes 30-40 minutes during prime drive time.

starrs Feb 3rd, 2008 04:15 AM

Winter Park, the little town, is very lovely. I love the Morse museum, walking around the lakes, etc. It's just not my favorite place to stay in the Orlando area.

The first place that comes to mind is the Park Plaza. A room with a balcony overlooking the town is lovely - and checking in is like checking in back in time. Literally. But, it is an OLD hotel with all that comes with that (thin walls, small bathrooms, etc.) The worst part for those I've booked in there is the nearby train. I can sleep through anything but everyone else I know is awakened by the train in the middle of the night.

I still recommend spending the day there and sleeping elsewhere. If I were in your shoes, I really would stay here - and eat at Emeril's Tchop Chop or one of the other restaurants.

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels.../Overview.aspx

bnbtraveler Feb 3rd, 2008 04:28 AM

Why would you reccommend staying in the crazy tourist area for a romantic evening away? A beuatiful day in Winter Park can be greatly enhanced by a nice stay that night at a fabulous b&b. See what OrlandoVic says. Park Plaza is NOT the only option. See - www.winterpark.org .

starrs Feb 3rd, 2008 04:39 AM

Why do you have a problem with someone who prefers staying at an amazing, even romantic, hotel over your B&B?

syd Feb 3rd, 2008 05:18 AM

I would consider spending the day at Winter Park, and a night in a nice hotel within walking distance to good restaurants. In terms of hotels, we tend to prefer boutique hotels. I'm avoiding the Park Plaza in Winter Park because of what I'm reading about the train noise.

I did consider staying at the Eo Inn, in downtown Orlando, but I've been reading about the downtown area being "quiet", and afraid we might be disappointed with that.

starrs Feb 3rd, 2008 05:36 AM

syd, I used to have business meetings in Winter Park. I chose it because the town is lovely and walkable. The train noise only bothered me one time (when I was in a back room that faced the RR track). It bothered others a lot. They opted to stay at the Hampton Inn or similar - further from the RR and new construction. If you opt for the Park Plaza, be sure to get a room on the front of the hotel. I booked the corner room a lot. When I first started staying there you checked in with little index cards. I felt like I was in Mayberry :-) (which was a good thing for me). According to google maps there are ten restaurants less than .10 mile - just outside the door. Nice shopping too. I like the one with things from Provence - if it is still there. It's a lovely town and I have friends that went to Rollins. Really a great place to get out and walk/ run around the lakes.

If you and your hubby like B&Bs, by all means consider the one mentioned here. I'd ask some questions though. I'm assuming it's older construction so I'd ask how far it is from the RR track. And, if you want to walk to restaurants I'd ask how far away they are if you are walking at night. According to google maps it is 2 miles from the Park Plaza - which is pretty much in the center of Winter Park.

The Morse Museum is wonderful. The shopping is good. Again, it's a lovely place to walk/stroll.

When I first posted I said I couldn't think of a "great place in Winter Park". It's been three years since I've been there. I used to choose to stay there (at the Park Plaza) when in the Orlando area and I was there at least 3x a year. I love Winter Park and I like the Park Plaza - IF you get a balcony room on the front.

If you don't like older "vintage" hotels, you won't enjoy it. Staying at a B&B is a personal preference based on some of the same reasons.

Have a wonderful trip!

ps - I alternated meetings in Winter Park with the Portofino and I really want to stay at the Royal Pacific - which is why I mentioned it. Either of the two of those I would choose for a romantic place the night before a flight out of Orlando International.