Reload this Page >

Looking for a restaurant in D.C. for father-in-law's 80th birthday party

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Cindy

My father-in-law is turning 80 this month, and we'd like to take the entire family out to celebrate. The group of 17 ranges in age from 3 to 80. We are thinking that a nice restaurant with a private room would be great, and if there is some sort of entertainment like jazz, even better. We are flexible on budget, but I guess meals for $20 or less (excluding wine) would work. We like all kinds of food, but we have two vegetarians. We would prefer a Bethesda location, but I could coax them into D.C., I think. Virginia won't work. Out of town family members are coming on the weekend of Jan. 20 -- Inauguration time.

Can anyone save me?

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 07:29 AM
ilisa

Cindy, if you can coax people into DC (except on Jan. 20) you might want to try BET on Jazz. My office went there for lunch one day and it was wonderful. It's located at 730 11th Street, NW. The food was excellent and the decor beautiful. In the evenings they have live performances. During the day, they have performances/videos on a large screen. Don't know if they have private rooms, but the place is pretty big, so I suspect they do.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Diane

One of my favorite places for family groups with various tastes, is Positano in Bethesda. They've got a very pretty place, and I'll bet they can set something up for your group.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:02 AM
JC

Look at Zagat's for ideas, and then call a few places. Many, many places can give you a private space for 20 or so. Holding your costs to $20 PP shouldn't be hard. But look at Zagat's and then make the calls.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:21 AM
nan

Cindy, this may not be helpful but here's what we did for my Mom's 80th and it was a hit! We had the similar age ranges that you describe. The adults had a beautiful lunch at hotel restaurant and then for an early dinner the whole clan met at the kids' birthday place, Chuck E Cheeze...pizza, games galore...My Mom was honored as the oldest "birthday girl"....the kids were happy and the pictures were hilarious!! This may NOT be an option for you but I thought I'd share since it's kind of a hard celebration. By the way, the evening celebration was a surprise too!! We did this in Columbus Ohio..I don't know if you have anything like this there.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Jen

Hi Cindy! Is going aboard the "Odyssey" at all an option? They usually have music and the view as you travel along the Potomac is really lovely. Also, being on a boat always keeps the young and old entertained!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Ed Haskell

Try Mickey D's....he won't know the difference

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:17 PM
kalena

Hi Cindy: While working for the feds during the Reagan years, I got to stay in Georgetown several times. This doesn't answer your question, Cindy, but I'm trying to find the name of the french-inspired restaurant on M street that did a fabulous green-bean mousse filled trout. Anyone out there know? I may be in town shortly. =)

Cindy....is Georgetown too out of the way for your entourage? There was another great option near the Foggy Bottom metro, but it may no longer be open. Fabulous food!
Aloha!
k

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Cindy

Sorry to let this thread languish without a thank you, but thank you. We are looking into a couple of these suggestions. I wonder if the boat idea would be too cold for January. Any experiences to report?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 05:24 AM
leo

Tragara's on Cordell (?) in Bethesda has a wonderful room for small parties. Great food too.