Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a place to stay in Waikiki (travelling with a 2 yr old)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:57 PM
olivia

Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation of where to stay in Waikiki. We are travelling with a 2 yr old and are open to condos or hotels. We would like a place on the beach.

Thanks,
O.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:30 AM
scrappy

went recently and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Had my family with me. None as young as 2 yrs. old but they had activities for kids. Feeding fish and penguins, lei making etc. It is right on the beach. This is the beach where they have the seaside competitions for the N.F.L. pro bowl players. On the week-ends they have a parade with a traditional hawaiian show and fireworks. Several swimming pools, spa area and shops made it a nice experience.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xxx

yes but do not go to Hilton in the school break season. I did this last August and it was not a pleasant experience...TOOOO many people in the pool, lobby, concierge line everywhere it was horrible. Rent a house in Lanikai or Kailua you will have privacy and coziness.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Susan

I agree with xxx. Rent a house or condo in Kailua or Lanikai Beach. Have a look at houses for rent at vrbo.com. The beach is lovely and calm, safe for little kids to put their toes in. Uncrowded and out of the tourist scene. It's only a 40 minute drive into Honolulu/Waikiki if you want to do restaurants and shopping there, but there are restaurants, Safeway, etc. in Kailua. Definitely find a place right on the beach because you'll be making many trips into and out of the house, bathroom, kitchen, bathtub, etc. Have fun!

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:24 AM
xxx

20 minutes if you cut over the Poli Susan you can pop over for dinner