Search

Looking for a NON-Vibe hotel in South Beach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a NON-Vibe hotel in South Beach

On our last trip to South Beach we stayed at the Hotel Astor. I really liked the rooms, large baths, engaging staff, breakfasts. What I didn't like was the fact that the hotel has no outdoor space -- no pool or garden area. I have read until I can no longer think the reviews of South Beach hotels and am at a complete loss. We are late -50ish, my husband is attending a meeting at Loew's. We will be in SoBe for 5 days the first part of May. Here's what I'm looking for:

-A hotel with good sized, clean rooms in good condition with a little style.

-A quiet hotel for a sleeping -- not a lot of street noise or night club right below our window. Walls that aren't paper thin.

-Some comfortable outdoor space to sit and read a book. I'm not a sun worshiper, so the beach isn't my first choice for a place to spend the day. The roof top pools all look to be tiny and I would think very hot on the roof to sit.

-Walking distance to small, local restaurants -- don't need or want night clubs, don't need a shopping mall. Boutiques or art galleries would be welcome.

-Price in the $150-$170 range.

Does this exist in South Beach? I have considered the new Riviera South, but have been told that it isn't in a great location for dining, the rooms are noisy and the amenities aren't up to par. Also considered The Strand, but its got a noisy night club and "street vibe" that is mentioned in every review. So many hotels sound or look good on booking sights, but have horrid reviews on Trip Advisor, Expedia, etc. Most look dreadful in the traveler posted photos. I'm beginning to think I should stay at home.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM

You might find the Doubletree Surfcomber fits your needs.
Doubletree Surfcomber Hotel Miami-South Beach
1717 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, Florida, United States 33139
Tel: 1-305-532-7715 Fax: 1-305-532-7280

note the pool is closed on the 8th and 9th of May which may be within your time frame.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM

I was going to recommend the Loews. Can you get a convention rate?

We also like the Cardozo. They don't really have outdoor space though unless you count the porch.

http://www.cardozohotel.com/
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks. The 8th and 9th is exactly when we will be there, so the Doubletree is out. Loew's "convention rates" are in the range of $300 per night. I find the meeting rates are never a good deal. I can always find a better price on the Internet. Problem is, the meetings usually take over the whole hotel. I really do want outdoor space. I have nothing to do during the days. Not a shopper or beach bum, so sitting in a garden or by a pool to read is a delight for me.

Keep thinking.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM

The National also has a nice outside area, although maybe not in your price range.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
TC
Original Poster

The National.....definately not in my price range. But thanks, Mike.