Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a nice but moderately priced hotel in The Big Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-nice-but-moderately-priced-hotel-in-the-big-island-311647/)

dandrews42 Apr 28th, 2003 06:50 PM

Looking for a nice but moderately priced hotel in The Big Island

My fiancee and I are looking for a nice moderately priced hotel in The Big Island during the beginning of Sept. We will be staying at the Princeville for 4 nights in Kauai and 4 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani, so we're looking for a more economical alternative for our 3 night stay at The Big Island. We like nice things so we need suggestions on a good alternative to the expensive resorts. Maybe a hidden gem???

angeleno Apr 28th, 2003 07:35 PM

what part of the island?

dandrews42 Apr 29th, 2003 02:48 AM

Probably the Kona Side. I've heard that this is the nicer side of the island. Our primary purpose of visiting the Big Island is to experience the Volcanoes. So, preferably our hotel would be somewhat near the Volcanoe National Park.

plummie Apr 29th, 2003 06:36 AM

If your main reason for visiting the BI is to visit the Volcanoes National Park, why not stay in that immediate area? We're making our first trip back to the Big Island in 30 years this September and plan to concentrate on the Volcano area. There are a number of bed and breakfasts very close to the park - check the Fodor's hotel listings for Volcano. We weren't very impressed by the rooms at the Volcano House 30 years ago and understand they haven't improved. We're booked into Cottage #44 at the Hale Ohia Cottages. The Kilauea Lodge is also supposed to be really nice. Both of these places have their own web sites. If you fly into Hilo you'll be closer to the volcano area than flying into Kona. Then, if you have the time, you can also drive down to the Puna area and see the effects of the lava flow from that perspective. 30 years ago you could drive from the park down the chain of craters road to the coast and drive to Hilo that way. That road is now closed because of lava flows.

circa Apr 30th, 2003 09:52 PM

The "Kona Side" will have more choices, but you will be 2-21/2 hrs from the volcano. Suggest that you consider the Hilo/Volcano area...There are some very nice bed and breakfasts that would probably suit you....the hotels in Hilo, are average at best. Perhaps split the time between Kona and Hilo, but I would stay in the Hilo area while visiting the volcano. The drive around the island is wonderful. However I would plan at least one night in the Hilo area and 2 days. Seeing the lava at night is awesome. (Hilo and the Puna District are my favorites---stayed 5 days last March2002)

circa Apr 30th, 2003 09:56 PM

plummie...WOW!....30 years..will be interesting on your reaction after you see the area now...especially where the Black Sands Beach at Kalapana used to be....to see how the lava distroyed that area, and what it looks like now.
I visit that area each time I go to the Big Island....enjoy

JohnD May 1st, 2003 03:57 AM

Hello, my wife and stayed at the Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Marriot in March for about $200/night. It is adjacent to the Hilton Waikoloa in the Kohala Coast Region (north of Kona). We are not golfers but found plenty of other things to do there. Your best source of info. would be to pick up a copy of "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed", (nicknamed "The Blue Bible") which is available at Barnes & Noble etc. We skipped the helicopter volcano tour and instead drove to the Volcano national park by car through Hilo, rather than Kona. The Hilo route has scenic turn off side roads and you can also drive to some waterfalls along the way and we personally did not find the drive to be too long. In the park you should check in with the rangers welcome center for 5 minutes to ask about the conditions on chain of craters road, and last week it was OK to drive within about a half hour walk to the oozing lava flow. Try to arrive at the flow between 5-6PM to see it as it gets dark, and flashlights and bottled water are helpfull as the walk is somewhat tricky (but not dangerous) and it gets hot there.
I also would recommend snorkeling in A-Bay in front of the Outrigger Marriot, which is best when it is not windy and the water is clear. We also took an outstanding snorkeling boat trip from Keahou (near Kona) aboard the FAIRWINDS II takes you to snorkel near the Captain Cook Memorial Monument where the water was very clear and we saw amazing fish and reef activity. Overall I enjoyed driving around the Big Island because the landscape is ever changing and often dramatic, and if you like coffee there are at least two Starbucks serving delicious Kona Coffee. Last week there was construction/noise on the (Hilton) side of the Marriot, but our ocean front room in the middle of the Marriot (facing the fish ponds) was unaffected by this nuisance, also the A/C in our room was amazing! Enjoy your trip!