Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a luxury inn or B & B in Wine Country (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-luxury-inn-or-b-and-b-in-wine-country-156085/)

Dale Feb 6th, 2002 02:57 PM

Looking for a luxury inn or B & B in Wine Country

My husband and I went to wine country about 10 years ago and loved it so much that we're considering going back for a 4 or 5 day long weekend. We stayed in Napa at La Residence which was very nice however I'd like to try someplace different. This time we're also going with another couple. <BR><BR>I still have all my planning materials from when we traveled but I'm sure there must be some new beautiful properties that have opened up within the last 10 years. Does anyone have any suggestions? We typically stay at very nice properties and the room is important to me even though we don't spend lots of time there. Since we stayed on the Napa side last time, it might be nice to stay on the Sonoma side this time (we're not locked into that though). Does anyone have any suggestions?<BR><BR>Cheers!

kam Feb 6th, 2002 03:38 PM

I think the Madrona Inn in Healdsburg is about as perfect as you can get. However, you might look in to the new hotel on Healdsburg Square that just opening--"Healdsburg Inn??" The Vintner's Inn in Santa Rosa is tops although the town is not centrally located.

steve Feb 6th, 2002 06:29 PM

A few other suggestions for Sonoma County would be: Gaige House, Inn at Occidental or Applewood.

mimi taylor Feb 6th, 2002 06:38 PM

I think you would like the<BR>Auberge du soleil in Rutherford.

Erin Feb 7th, 2002 09:54 AM

Try the MacArthur Place in Sonoma. Beautiful, beautiful property! I took my husband here for our anniversary-and we loved it. They had a wine and cheese tray waiting for us in our room when we arrived. The spa is incredible as well, small and intimate and they take such great care of you! At 4pm-7pm they put out comp. wine and cheese in the library-such nice touches here, can't say enough about them. Look up macarthurplace.com If you have any questions, please post them!

Paula Feb 7th, 2002 09:58 AM

We went a year and a half ago and stayed in Sonoma--Glennellen--very quaint "hamlet". Dinner at The Girl and The Fig was outstanding. Our B&B was okay. Try the Gaige House! Also, check out the Four Sisters Inns. The ones in Washington State were both great.

maxcuvee Feb 7th, 2002 11:12 PM

the harvest inn located in Napa is quite nice although a little pricey but you sound like you can afford it. rooms with balconies overlooking vineyards, some with jacuzzis as well. well appointed and clean<BR>

RMC Feb 8th, 2002 05:58 AM

Mimi's suggestion of Auberge is great but it's outragiously expensive. I considered booking it but the rates started at $650.00. I usually stay at really nice places too but that's just plain crazy! <BR><BR>Any suggestions for the Napa side? I was there in 1997 but wondered if anything new had opened up. So many great choices for inns and wine. Where to start?? :)<BR><BR>

Kal Feb 8th, 2002 07:38 AM

RMC,<BR>Try these sites:<BR><BR>http://www.napalinks.com/<BR><BR>http://www.napavalleyonline.com/<BR><BR>We like the Younville area. The biggies are Villagio and Napa Valley Lodge. <BR>Then the Vintage and Yountville Inns.<BR><BR>We've also stayed at the "very rustic"<BR>Railway Inn and Bordeaux House. Both nice places.<BR><BR>There are some other smaller ones like Petit Logis.<BR>All are within walking distance to all the good Y'ville restaurants.<BR>

S Feb 8th, 2002 08:04 AM

My suggestion is Calistoga Cottage Grove Inn. It's tucked away but not far from all of Wineries. Basically, instead of a hotel with rooms, it's a group of cottages, each unique for the other with Jacuzzis, fireplaces etc. Perfect for getting away but not too far away from the reason you're there..the wine. Enjoy!

S Feb 8th, 2002 08:05 AM

Whoops! Forgot the link to the Cottage Grove Inn....<BR><BR>http://www.cottagegrove.com

RMC Feb 9th, 2002 06:36 AM

I forgot to mention yesterday that I'm with Kam..the Vintner's Inn looks wonderful. I haven't stayed there, this is just going by the website.<BR>www.vintnersinn.com<BR><BR>Also, ...Steve picked up another one of my favorites..Applewood. Again, not a great location but it looks really nice.<BR><BR>www.applewoodinn.com<BR><BR>Now if I could only find something similiar for myself. From the looks of it Meadow Wood Resort looks beautiful but it's a little pricey and it's also a little larger than I'd prefer. <BR><BR>Thanks for the website advice....I'll check 'em out.

Tony Feb 9th, 2002 04:44 PM

Probably the nicest and most expensive is Auberge du Soleil. If you are looking for something a little less expensive but with a very nice room and also has a spa, try the Villagio. Ever since it opened, that is where my wife likes to stay and she is pretty picky.

Tracy Feb 11th, 2002 10:54 PM

In my opinion, Auberge du Soleil can't be beat.

RMC Feb 12th, 2002 04:15 AM

Thanks Tony and Tracey for your suggestions but Auberge is just a bit too out of our range. <BR><BR>The Villagio looks very nice as does the Cottage Grove Inn. Too many really good choices I guess! :) <BR><BR>

Been There Feb 12th, 2002 09:55 AM

Having stayed there, I would not consider the Applewood Inn to be a "luxury inn".<BR><BR>The grounds of the inn, however, are beautiful.

sjw Feb 12th, 2002 10:08 AM

Zinfandel Inn is a very nice place and very romantic. I would highly recommend it.

Tracy Feb 12th, 2002 10:46 AM

Well, at least visit Auberge du Soleil--have a drink or dinner on the terrace.<BR><BR>Have you looked into Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa?

Sheila Feb 13th, 2002 09:25 PM

Try the Mission Ranch in Carmel, CA.<BR>It's great!

Jeff Feb 18th, 2002 12:33 PM

Travel Holiday Magazine rated the best places to stay in Napa Valley in an issue last fall. Their top 3 picks were Miliken Creek Inn, Oak Knoll, and Castle in the Clouds B&B. All have rates starting about %250 per night. The magazine said the views from Castle in the Clouds were better than Auberge du Soliel.<BR><BR>Jeff