Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a lodge.. getting a tad frustrated.

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

I live in NY, I've been to the Adirondacks.. I KNOW they must have those beautiful winter lodges, with crackling fires and rustic vibes that we all see on TV right? I'd like to get away for a weekend this winter, I hate the cold but hubby loves snow.. so I figured we'd compromise and look for a lodge or cabin up north, preferably when the only time we have to leave is to eat, (room service would be great though lol...) basically I want a fireplace, a nice view.. someplace we can just lounge around with the kids and enjoy the warmth inside (because all of us NYers know it'll be cold as ever outside..) but I'm having a really hard time finding anything that suits my needs. I'd like a lodge.. not a personal cottage (anyone see The Great Outdoors?? Yea that would be us...) Any suggestions on this?? Am I going to have to go to Min. or Wisconsin to get this winter wonderland getaway??
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Don't know about budget...

The Whiteface Lodge - http://www.thewhitefacelodge.com - The two bedroom suites have fireplaces
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM

How rustic are you willing to go? Here are a few suggestions:

Garnett Hill Lodge
Irondequoit Inn
Melody Lodge
Friends Lake Inn
Woods Inn

All will have snow. LOL
Most of these places will be busy with snowmobilers - so they sometimes aren't as peaceful as one would hope. Also, don't expect good dining - except at Melody - the dining scene in the Adirondacks is rough.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM

My suggestion is to flag your post for New York state, and maybe reword the title to be a bit more specific? That might help people with good information, know to open your thread.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Strange you should ask! Just this week I was checking out other Relais & Chateaux properties, and found Lake Placid Lodge. They have lodge rooma snd cabins right on the water.

It looks like what you're looking for (cause I'm lookin for the same thing!)

http://lakeplacidlodge.com/#/home
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM

<someplace we can just lounge around with the kids and enjoy the warmth inside>

I missed this first time around -- IMO none of the Lake Placid fancy places are that appropriate for kids. Won't they want to do active stuff outside?

Maybe you should go to a really fun ski center - they could have a blast skiing while you sit in the hot tub? I'd recommend Stowe or Mt. Tremblant. You'll all have fun.

On the other hand, cross country skiing or snow shoeing in the Adirondacks is fun and anybody can do those. Sitting by the fire might get boring rather quickly otherwise.