Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a house to rent in Wailea on the beach

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight we started looking on vrbo and homeaway also airbnb for something "romantic" and on the beach that we might consider renting, so that we could have a stove/kitchen and prepare our own meals if we felt like it, rather than always having to go out to eat (especially breakfast)

Are there no hotels that have cooktops?

Regarding the home away sites, are they all condos on Maui?

Are there any houses?
Are there any homes for rent that sit directly on the beach in Waimea or south of Waimea for rent?
We couldn't seem to find any.
They all seemed to be condo's, very spacious, not very "cozy".
They were all pretty much the same - the same feeling, if you know what I mean.
I was looking for a simple little cottage of sorts, where we could walk out onto the beach, sit on a patio, see whales or turtles while we enjoyed our morning coffee...
I don't think they exist.
I know we are last minute here (we are looking for something from Jan 20-26 of this year!) Maybe all those disappeared long ago, so we are out of luck.

Would Hana be out of the question, because of the rain and lack of things to do over there?

We are pretty sure we'd want to be in Wailea or South for the best sun that this time of year allows.

Thank you.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:12 PM

I think you've got two problems.

1. The dates. Why did you just start looking now? The kind of place you're looking for probably has bookings a year in advance.

2. There are houses, but relatively few. I did a search for you, and the ones that might match your criteria are either terribly expensive or already reserved, or both.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:08 AM

You are way too late booking. Go to vrbo and check out Maui Kamaole condos (just before Waimea) or ekahi village, that area. Ekahi has several good options in the $200+.
Filter the vrbo listings by dates. There's very nice condo lodging available steps from the beach, but a villa or house that's beachfront? Doubtful.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:22 AM

P.s. cozy cottages on the beach? Probably sold and replaced by virtual palaces decades ago!
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:35 AM

There used to be a couple in Makena. I think they are off market now. Perhaps your big splurge could be at Mama's fish house.

http://www.innatmamas.com

It comes with a 5 star price tag. I would stop by Hailimaile General Store for one of Wendy at the bar's concoctions, a sashimi napoleon and the daily soup special is always a hit. Then roll down the hill to the inn and stroll to the restaurant after sunset for a romantic dinner.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:56 AM

I'd also add that there is absolutely nothing romantic about standing in line at Safeway and Costco for breakfast supplies! (From the woman who stood in line at Costco TWICE in 12 days to buy 4.5 gallons of organic milk, eggs, bread, and cheese for my precious snowflakes.)

I think the *only* thing I enjoy about the resort experience is the utter ease of heading down for fresh tropical fruit, fresh squeezed juices, steel cut oatmeal and yogurt, organic eggs, someone pouring me coffee as I sit down.... Enjoy the pampering of a boutique hotel and order room service -- the breakfasts at Hotel Wailea and Andaz are known to be amazing.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you... this was a spur of the moment trip! We made a rather quick decision during Christmas to go to CA to see a son move off, and after Christmas, I thought, "Gee, we're so close to Hawaii here, why not hop over while in CA?"
So, we are off, sort of... one foot out the door...
Thank you for your big time insights, kindness and help.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, ANDAZ it is!

I hope to write a trip report in February to thank you for all your help.

take care, and safe travels