Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a hotel not too far from the MET (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-hotel-not-too-far-from-the-met-1017810/)

kathleen Jun 22nd, 2014 03:03 PM

Looking for a hotel not too far from the MET

We're thinking about seeing an opera at the MET this coming season and trying to decide where to stay for a couple of nights. We'd like to be close enough to walk back to the hotel afterwards.

Last time we stayed at 6 Columbus on Columbus circle and thought it was fine. I've found another hotel nearby, the Hudson, A Morgan's Hotel, but know nothing about it. Anyone have an opinion? They seem similar in price and quality. Are they? Does anyone have another hotel in this area or price range that we should consider? All suggestions are welcome.

We haven't booked the opera yet (waiting until August for the tickets to the general public to go on sale) so we have some time before booking. In fact we haven't even decided which opera yet, but know that we want to see another there. Thanks.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 22nd, 2014 03:22 PM

Empire Hotel

Mandarin Oriental - somewhat expensive but very nice

nytraveler Jun 22nd, 2014 06:03 PM

Very nice but very expensive. For instance, late Oct will be more than $900 per night.

kathleen Jun 23rd, 2014 05:13 AM

Thanks AA and ny,

The Empire might work, but the Mandarin O.--definitely not. Even plugging in the dates for early January, the best available rate at the Mandarin is over $700 with taxes. However, the Empire is comparable with my other two possibilities.

But what about the Hudson? Heard anything about it?

doug_stallings Jun 23rd, 2014 06:14 AM

The Hudson is a very nice hotel with beautiful public spaces and some of the smallest rooms in NYC. If you are only staying a couple of nights and don't have a lot of luggage, it may do nicely for you. But the rooms are VERY small.

The Dream Hotel on 55th/Broadway might also work. And there's also a Marriott Courtyard at 54th/Broadway (a brand-new hotel that shares space with a Residence Inn). And the Le Parker Meridien on 57th might be a good choice. I'd consider anything within 10 blocks of Lincoln Center quite walkable.

Going uptown, the Hotel Beacon at 75th/Broadway, is also within walking distance of Lincoln Center.

kathleen Jun 23rd, 2014 06:57 AM

Thanks Doug,
I'll check these hotels out.
Most likely we'd be staying two or three nights, so if very small or small is just too small, the Hudson may be out. I'll check if some of their rooms in a higher price category are larger and/or worth it.

doug_stallings Jun 23rd, 2014 08:03 AM

Maybe take a look at TripAdvisor and see if anyone has posted photos. I've never seen a room there, but a friend stayed there a couple of months ago and said he had trouble finding a place to put his stuff (granted, he doesn't exactly travel light and was in the US for a 2-week conference). But he loved the hotel, and we had drinks with him there in the library bar, which was beautiful.

kathleen Aug 19th, 2014 10:44 AM

We've booked the Marriott Courtyard/Central Park and have our tickets to La Boheme on Oct 4th. The labor dispute isn't quite over, but it looks like it'll be settled very soon. Also been reading the thread on places to eat near Lincoln center. Glad someone asked that! Thanks for all the help.