Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans- Places to go, Things to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to New Orleans for a Confrence with a group of about 10 and we are looking for things to do and places to eat and hang-out etc...
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Carissa,

First let me say... you're going to have a ball!!! I was there last September for four days. It was one of the craziest trips of my life.

I'm not (too) wild and earned my beads without completely baring all. *chuckle* I'm going on 40, married but went with another married runaway lady for this trip. That gives you an idea of where I'm coming from when I give me preferences.

Favourite Bar - Howl at The Moon. It's one of the first one's on Bourbon Street. Dueling piano bar with great entertainment. The crowd age is late 20's to late 50's. Few drunken college kids. But a lot of fun "crowd participatory" people. Side note - the Cat's Meow can be a blast but the age level definitely comes down to college. Still fun though.

We didn't opt for any fine dining experiences this trip. I loved Camilla's Dinner in the Garden District. Take the trolley round trip to see the city.

Try to make it to Cafe du Mondes for chickory coffee and beignettes in the French Quarter. It's everything people rave about and more. We went on our third day and I was ready for a peaceful break from all the craziness. The area is utterly gorgeous.

That same day we strolled through the back streets of the French Quarter. The architecture is beautiful. So many little places to stop and explore.

I obviously could go on and on. Harrah's is worth stopping in just to see the interior design. Plus Albert makes awesome made-to-order omelettes around 4am. We stayed at the Hilton by the RiverWalk - fantastic hotel.

If you have any specific questions or would like to see of the NOLA pics I took, just drop me a line offlist at [email protected]

Have a great trip!

~ Sheryl
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Rock N Bowl.... Zydeco music and they dance in the lane. I'm no bowler, I don't even know anyone who bowls but this place is FUN. Check it out. LMF
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Hi Carissa,
I moved to New Orleans ten years ago from Dallas and still find this town intriguing. I like the quarter in the morning before the crowds and heat become oppressive. Try Croissant d'Or (near Royal on ursuline- I believe) for breakfast. We eat there after we return from France to make us feel like we're back in Paris( a little at least) . It is an inexpensive and tasty place filled with a wide array of interesting , mainly , local folk.

I also enjoy the court of two sisters in the quarter for a delicious brunch. It has a huge buffet and the best Eggs benedict and bread pudding anywhere.
I don't hang out at clubs much anymore,but some of my favorite sites are: Pirates alley and park behind and next to St. Louis Cathedral, strolling along the river at waldenberg park, walking around the garden district (eat at Joey K's on magazine-very locale and good),and watching the huge ocean bound ships pass by at river bend park while eating a picnic or just watching the young and fit collegiates tan themselves. . Our zoo is one of the loveliest anywhere as is Audubon park.
The bourbon street experience should be tried at least once. It is rowdy and fun and has rightly earned it' reputation. Rue Royal has some of the best and most expensive antique stores around. I have eaten several times at Petunias on St. Louis just off Bourbon and have never been disappointed. Try their dessert crepes. Hopefully you will walk enough to burn off the excessive calories that you will consume in this town obsessed with food.
Lots of people seem to enjoy themselves taking a ghost tour of the quarter. Out city is rife with tales of ghost and voodoo. I've had unusual spiritual happenings here that never occurred in Dallas and most folks here have similar stories to tell.
One more of my favorite things to do in a new city is to go to tall vantage points to get a feel for the layout of a place. Hopefully the world trade mart/center is still available for this activity. I think that it may become a hotel and might not be available. Anyway it's a cool, rotating place to have appetizers and expensive drinks. Have fun and email me if you have questions. Tim [email protected]
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Carissa,

One more place I thought of: House of Blues. Their Sunday brunch is an experience. Just be forewarned. If you sit upstairs, remember you'll need to walk downstairs after the brunch.

Sounds like a no-brainer. Except there are free flowing champagne mimosas. *chuckle*

~ Sheryl