Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for a beautiful lake in the South (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-a-beautiful-lake-in-the-south-116266/)

Miriam Apr 2nd, 2001 04:22 AM

Looking for a beautiful lake in the South

Hello,<BR><BR>I`m in the planning stage of a part(one week) of my next trip to the U.S.<BR>Although Ive been to a lot of places in the South I`d like to get more into it and I thought it might be a good idea to choose one place somewhere in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia or Lousiana as a base for daytrips.<BR>I would prefer to rent an apartment, condo or cabin at a lake. I had a look at the Internet but are not sure where to go, because I`m not familiar with what I`ve found. Does anybody knows Lake Martin,f.e.?<BR>It would be nice if swimming is possible also and if the lake is not just a swamp used by fishers.<BR>My dates are mid to late June 2001.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your replies<BR><BR>Miriam

Daniel Apr 2nd, 2001 04:49 AM

Miriam,<BR><BR>There are a number of lakes near and north of Atlanta. One very popular and large one is Lake Lanier, where there is a resrot called Lake Lanier Islands that offers a beach, boat rentals, restaurants, hotel, etc. I am not sure of cabin rentals, but I am sure there are some on the lake. You might do a search for "Lake Lanier" or "Lake Sidney Lanier". This would be a good location if you'd like to combine your lake time with easy access to the city and its attractions as well as the mountains of North Georgia and North Carolina.<BR><BR>Finally, Lake Burton is a smaller but very beautiful lake also in the North Georgia mountains. This one would be the least crowded, I think, but it is fairly exclusive with many wealthy people owning homes there, so I am not sure about the rental possibilities. <BR><BR>A search of any of these lake names along with "Georgia" should yield some results.<BR><BR>Farther north is Lake Chatuge and Lake Hartwell. Lake Chatuge is on the Georgia-North Carolina border at the start of the Appalachian mountains. Lake Hartwell is on the Georgia-South Carolina border and is also near the mountains.<BR><BR>You may also find other information on smaller lakes with cabin rentals by searching for "Georgia State Parks &amp; Historic Sites."<BR><BR>Hope that helps,<BR>Daniel<BR><BR>

Jen Apr 2nd, 2001 05:33 AM

Lake Martin, which you asked about, is one of the cleanest, biggest, most beautiful lakes in the South, but the area is very rural. There are not many restaurants or other attractions around. Lake Lanier is closer to civilization, but it is also more crowded, especially in the summer.

S Apr 2nd, 2001 09:39 AM

Try checking out the State Parks in each area. Other ones to check would be Lake Eufaula, Lake Guntersville (you might see Bald Eagles), Joe Wheeler State Park, all in Alabama. Tennessee and Mississippi also have some pretty lakes. Check on their state park websites.

Daniel Apr 2nd, 2001 11:38 AM

I agree about checking state park sites. There are many affordable lodging options in most southern states.<BR><BR>I did fail to mention in my previous post Lake Oconee and Lake Allatoona, also near Atlanta. The latter does have rental cabins at Red Top Mountain State Park.<BR><BR>Daniel<BR>

Miriam Apr 2nd, 2001 05:13 PM

Hello,<BR><BR>thank you all for taking the time.<BR>I`ll have a look into what you have recommended.<BR>I`ll come back with further questions after that.<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR><BR>Miriam

MarySue Apr 3rd, 2001 03:53 AM

It's not in the states that you mention, but the Land Between the Lakes area on the Kentucky-Tennessee border is very nice.

S Apr 3rd, 2001 06:49 AM

The more I think about it, the more I remember something about Bald Eagles and Lake Guntersville in Alabama. They have a population of Bald Eagles there - don't know if they are migratory or not. I think that there is a peak time to watch them, maybe as they are nesting. Haven't been there, but I'm under the impression that it's become quite an attraction. I'd guess that means they are quite visible. You'd have to call them to find out more.