Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Look around Baltimore for a day or just go onto Philly???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/look-around-baltimore-for-a-day-or-just-go-onto-philly-355273/)

traveler24 Sep 4th, 2003 10:38 PM

Look around Baltimore for a day or just go onto Philly????

Flying into Baltimore in Oct. on a Wed. evening.Staying within 1.5 t0 2 miles of the airport. Was considering going into Baltimore the next day just to look around. (the following day I am taking Amtrak into Philly to a 5 day conference)
Is there public transportation from airport into Baltimore's Inner Harbor Area??
Maybe I should skip Baltimore and just go on to Philly a day early??
What do you think???
Advice appreciated...

bardo Sep 5th, 2003 03:47 AM

Baltimore deserves more than one day rushing through the tourist ridden inner harbor area. Come back when you have a few days to see more of Baltimores great neighborhoods and sights outside of the inner harbor. A free day in Philly before your conference sounds like a great opportunity - grab it.

djkbooks Sep 5th, 2003 04:43 AM

If the weather is nice, a day at the Inner Harbor would be wonderful. In adddition to walking all about, you may want to take the water taxi around for the splendid scenery, perhaps stopping off at Fells Point for a nice lunch and bit of exploring.

You can find all the ground transportation options at http://www.bwiairport.com/

The Duck Tours are great fun, too.

Recommend picking up literature and taking note of the hotels for future reference, should you wish to return when you have more time!

fairfax Sep 5th, 2003 05:18 AM

It is simple to get from BWI to the Inner Harbour. Just take the light rail, which leaves from the end of the International Terminal, and goes right into downtown, by Camden Yards. From there, it's about a two block walk to the Harbour. There are tons of things to do in Baltimore, such as Fells Point, Fort McHenry, great museums and galleries, Edgar Allen Poe's grave, and much more. The Water/Seaport Taxis are a good way to get around the Harbour and out to the Fort.

Yes, I'd say that Baltimore deserves a day or two of your time on the way to Philadelphia.

traveler24 Sep 7th, 2003 05:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice...
I decided to spend 3 days in Baltimore after my conference. I can see from the posts I couldn't do it justice in one day..
Thanks again..

Christina Sep 7th, 2003 06:03 PM

No reason to go overboard... I don't find Baltimore that fascinating myself, I wouldn't spend 3 days there. They do have some good theatre, symphony, and art galleries, but I don't think the Inner Harbor is so great. It's a relatively newly designed/constructed area with some tourist shops, by the same guys who did NY South Seaport, and looks very similar. It's not historic, although maybe a pleasant place to have a drink or lunch. The acquarium is very good, of course.

LN Sep 7th, 2003 06:11 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in Baltimore - take in a ball game - go eat some Maryland crabs - some great restaurants in Little Italy - and if you find yourself with some extra time drive 30 minutes south and visit the historic capitol of Maryland - Annapolis. It's a great city with an old harbor and a lot to do - There'll be a boat show for two weekends in October (first is the sail and second is the power) and then, of course, we always have those great Navy football games (hope they win a few this year). But actually it is a great smaller town with much history (four homes of signers of the Declaration of Independence still standing) cobble stone streets - what more could you ask for?

djkbooks Sep 7th, 2003 08:57 PM

Last time we were at the Inner Harbor, we enjoyed a terrific lunch at the Cheesecake Factory (that terrace overlooking the harbor is fantastic, not to mention an extensive menu of wonderful offerings), then we wandered over to Barnes & Noble, in a former power plant. After collecting a stack of books to peruse, then a latte from the Starbucks within, we found a table on the outdoor deck overlooking the harbor. With the music from the outdoor speakers - well, it just doesn't get any better than that (the weather was glorious!). Best yet, when we wandered past the Aquarium, there was NO LINE, so we went right in. Saw the dolphin show, too.