Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Longboat Key, FL...Good, Casual Dining/ Restaurants to visit w/kids.

Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Please help me find some good tasting restaurants that are casual, have children's menus and are on Longboat Key which is where our family of 5 will be traveling for Spring Break in April....Any suggestions for good restaurants would be wonderful as we have never been here. We prefer those where we can eat outside, we love seafood and are non-smokers with kids, ages 7, 5 and 20 months thanks a million in advance!!! FYI, we are staying at the Silver Sands Resort.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM

I don't know where the resort is but Old Salty Dog at the south end is a place you may want to visit. Outdoor/indoor dining, children's menu, usual fried, seafood, hamburger type joint. Very casual.

In Sarasota proper, right on the water, another casual place you should consider is O'Leary's. Next to Marina Jacks. Tiki bar, outdoor tables, indoor sitting. Similar food to OSD's.

btw, all Florida restaurants are non-smoking.

Have a great trip!
Mar 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot AAFrequentFlyer!
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Avoid Marina Jack's, however.
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

AAFrequentFlyer's tips are good ones. Given soccr's remarks, however, I would add that you should avoid Marina Jack's upstairs "fine dining". Marina Jack's two patio restaurants downstairs have good, simple food in a casual environment; they are just slightly more upscale that O'Leary's (which is also operated by Marina Jack's).
Mar 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM

The Dry Dock is a great family friendly place too. It is right near St. Armand's Circle which by the way, has other good casual places too.
Mar 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I meant that it is on Longboat Key but closer to St. Armand's.
Mar 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton for all your responses......
Mar 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM

If you are willing to go a bit north, the Star Fish company has fantastic, really fresh seafood. You eat outside on picnic tables, nothing fancy, but the food is oh so good. You are right on the water. You just cross over Long Boat Key to Anna Maria Island, and then take Cortez Road in just a couple of miles. It's about 10 minutes from the tip of Long Boat Key, I would estimate. You can stop at Tyler's ice cream on the way back - it's right on Cortez Road - if you are not totally stuffed. Their website is http://starfishcompany.com/starfishcompany/rest.html
Mar 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone!!!!
Mar 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Moore's Stone Crab Restaurant
800 Broadway Street
Longboat Key, FL 34228
(941) 383-1748

Moore's is reasonably price and kid friendly. You can drive or arrive by boat. They used to have a dolphin in their mooring area that you could pet. Then the tree huggers complained and they had to open the net and let it go. Guess what, it wouldn't leave. Now it comes and goes, but not far - why would it?

Euphemia Haye has typically been best on the island. Not as kid friendly. Don't miss walking, shopping and eating on St. Armand's Circle.

Columbia Restaurant has been there forever (well, since 1905), I still like it. Filet Saltiado is great as is the 1905 Salad.