Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Long weekend vaca~~~~ Florida Keys or San Diego???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/long-weekend-vaca-florida-keys-or-san-diego-907353/)

mommy2boys Sep 26th, 2011 06:43 PM

Long weekend vaca~~~~ Florida Keys or San Diego????

Help!!! We are looking to take a long weekend trip with no kids for my big 4-0. 4-5 days... We are thinking the Florida Keys or San Diego. This will be beginning to middle of November. My husband and I have never been to either place and we would be coming from the ~~cold~~ midwest. Any suggestions would be helpful!! We don't know what to do!!!!

garyt22 Sep 27th, 2011 05:21 AM

Both have advantages... the keys are a much more confined area and have a laid back party approach... Key West is the party capital with bars, food, sunset sails, booze cruises, and a pirate history... further up the keys are a number of resort type accomodations in mid-to-high pricing that favor relaxing and access to the water for fishing and water sports...Key West is a chance for you to revisit your "barhopping days" without worrying about the kids...if that sounds like you, then the Keys would be a good choice...

San Diego is a bit more spread out with the water and beaches as the main attraction... great dining and resorts as well as shopping and a cleaner, resorty feel... to me, SanDiego is a more Family destination than the keys but if you enjoy beautiful beaches and the California ocean vibe, that's the pick.... have fun deciding...

mommy2boys Sep 27th, 2011 08:20 AM

Thanks for the insight.... and how you stated it is exactly why we are having "issues" deciding where to go!!! Is there more to the Keys than just partying, fishing and snorkeling? While that may be fun for a day or two, I don't know that I could keep up with it for 5 days and we don't fish but I have always wanted to see that area... sigh.....:)

garyt22 Sep 27th, 2011 10:23 AM

The best way to package that trip is to fly into Miami for one night on South Beach in a oceanfront hotel near Ocean Drive.. relax, shop and dine there and then rent a car to drive down the Keys... after a South Beach Lunch, head south...

...if you have the nights, stop for a night in Islamorada and explore the quirky stops along the way...

...finish with a night or two in Key West, enjoying the party bars, sunset sails and sunset celebration... The total drive to Key West is under 5 hours leaving you plenty of time for stops, shopping and some fresh seafood along the way...

... you can make the drive back to Miami to fly home on a late afternoon flight and be back in your icebox before the tan wears off...

Its a very laid back trip with very little driving, tons to do and a perfect couples getaway....

mommy2boys Sep 27th, 2011 03:14 PM

That is a great way to do that! I was thinking of driving straight to Key Largo for the first night but it just didn't seem "right". Good idea for Miami and South Beach.....Can you give some suggestions of "must sees" along the way...besides fishing, lol...

mommy2boys Sep 28th, 2011 07:03 AM

Also, can anyone recommend any hotels in Islamorada and/or Key West? Not looking to stay in a chain hotel but nothing off the charts expensive either!!!! Thanks!

suze Sep 28th, 2011 09:27 AM

Florida Keys... no contest! San Diego is nice and all, but it's just a city, a pretty southern california coastal city granted. The Keys are very dramatic and one-of-a-kind. Much more exciting imo.

MJT Sep 28th, 2011 10:34 AM

We live in Islamorada and much prefer it here to Key Largo or Marathon. We have great restaurants, too. The Lorelei is a locals favorite, on the water. For something a but more upscale try Morada Bay. Also there is the Green Turtle and Islamorad Fish Company. As for a place to stay, have a look at Breezy Palms. You can get a room for $69 this time of year. It's a Mom and Pop motel, clean as can be and on the ocean. Right next door is the Hampton Inn with a nice tiki bar.

garyt22 Sep 28th, 2011 11:53 AM

For Key West, the character is in Old Town small inns and B&B accomodations... If you want a regular hotel, consider Ocean Key or the Pier House... the best small inns (pricy) are The Gardens Hotel and Marquesa House... we also stayed at Chelsea House and there is a newer place called The Key Lime Inn on Truman... everyone has their favorites, but I would steer you away from the big chain hotels and toward a small Old Town property... its the only true way to experience Key West.

mommy2boys Sep 28th, 2011 04:31 PM

I think the only thing holding me back is activities. We generally are sight-seers on vacation. We don't fish and I don't swim. My husband may go snorkeling one day for a few hours but that would be about it. It seems that I keep reading a trend on what to do, "fish, snorkel, party." If those aren't our interests would we still be able to find enough to keep us busy for 3-4 days? Thanks everyone for all the tips so far!!!! :)

cgenster Sep 28th, 2011 05:36 PM

In Key West there are houses that you can tour, The Hemingway House, The Audubon House and others. There is also a Mel Fisher museum, a small aquarium and a butterfly garden.

There is a small fort at Fort Zachary Taylor, which in my opinion is the best beach to visit in Key West.

Key West is a party destination, but there is a lot more there than just the partying. My SIL and her husband are pretty much tee-totalers, she might have a glass of wine with dinner but that's all. They loved Key West, and found all kinds of thngs to keep them occupied.

dbdurand Sep 28th, 2011 08:09 PM

Given your state of mind regarding the lack of suitable activities in Key West, then the obvious choice is San Diego. Here's what you can do there. (I'm an Angeleno, but have been to San Diego many times). It will be a better fit for you.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/...city-guide.htm

qwovadis Sep 29th, 2011 03:14 AM

4* Hyatt La Jolla San Diego/Torrey Pines $49 3/25 - Priceline .
Learn the Secrets of using Priceline and Hotwire. Priceline hotel lists, priceline winning bids, Hotwire amenities, hotel reviews and more. Message board offers free ...
www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=450

My fav with kids for best weather sightseeing sea world zoo etc

Key West for party more rain storm risk in fall and more expense

martym Sep 29th, 2011 03:46 AM

If you decide on Key West, I'd like to suggest Latitudes restaurant on Sunset Key for a romantic dinner. You take a boat from the Mallory Square area out to Sunset Key--maybe a 10 minute ride--you can see Sunset Key from Mallory Square. Wonderful food-very tropical. We went there with a group last January. http://www.westinsunsetkeycottages.com/latitudes
BTW I've been to Key West many times --and never run out of things to do. And I'm not a swimmer, snorkeler or party-er.

tracys2cents Sep 29th, 2011 07:09 AM

Is November hurricane season? If so, make sure you get some kind of trip insurance.

garyt22 Sep 29th, 2011 08:30 AM

In the 160 years of tracking hurricanes, only 5 have occurred and reached US coastlines in November...and that's not even just Florida.... thanks tracy for scaring insurance into the travelers...

mommy2boys Sep 29th, 2011 04:44 PM

After much debate with between my husband and I, I think we are going to play it safe and go to San Diego. I just couldn't give up the thought of San Diego. We did find out today that our trip is being pushed back to December, the 2nd week. A little thing called a "job" has reared its ugly head and made November impossible! No worries on the trip insurance suggestion... We don't worry too much about it... Thanks for the links on Priceline bids!! We have used it before but I need to become much better at it!!! Now onto the SD trip.... how to maximize our days!!! 5 days (including travel) and 4 nights.... Any suggestions or should I start a new forum???

garyt22 Sep 29th, 2011 06:27 PM

start over...

spirobulldog Sep 30th, 2011 07:36 AM

What about all those hurricanes that reach Florida in the month or two before November. It doesn't make any difference when it hits if there isn't much left there to see. I am with tracys2cents-get the insurance. We once had plans for St.Thomas and had to cancel because of a hurricane. Just this past year I lost about $2000 on a trip to Glacier National Park because of a freak hailstorm that damaged 45 airplanes on the ground at Denver. Whether travel, auto, home, life,or whatever kind of insurance-it's darned if you do and darned if you don't.

I think going someplace that is known to have a lot of weather events insurance makes great sense.

SusanCS Sep 30th, 2011 02:38 PM

My husband and I have been going to Key West for two weeks in October/November for 18 years. A few years, we got there 3 or 4 days after a hurricane, but other than that we've never been anywhere near one. I could be mistaken, but I think August and September are the primary months for hurricane problems in the keys.