LONG WEEKEND NEAR ATLANTA

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:08 PM
Barry

LONG WEEKEND NEAR ATLANTA

I will be in Atlanta in Mid August for a Friday night event and thought i might look for a 2-3 day retreat,spa or beach resort within a 2-3 hour drive because i will probably book a flight on Tues to come home to Phila...so I know it will be hot anyplace we go but I would not mind a short getaway ...I also like flea markets,outsider art and antiquing but that is not a must...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:01 PM
RBS

There's Chateau Elan 40 miles north of Atlanta which is a golf & spa resort in a winery setting. Stone Mountain, just east of Atlanta, has a lake w/ beach plus other recreation and a Marriott. Callaway Gardens is about an hour south of Atlanta.

On the second weekend of the month is the Lakewood Antiques Market in Atlanta.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
RB

On a lower-key, more secluded note, Glen-Ella Springs Inn in Clarkesville, GA would be a very relaxing spot. It's up in North Georgia (90 miles from ATL), so it should be a little bit cooler than the city. The restaurant affiliated with the inn is very good, and the innkeepers are sweet folks. The rooms are appointed with period antiques. There are crafts and antiques shopping opportunities in that area as well. Here's the addy: www.glenella.com. This is one of my favorite spots for a soothing, cooling escape from the hub-bub.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Kat

The Ga coast is nice--but a little longer than a 2-3 hour drive from Atlanta. More like 4. Savannah, Tybee, St. Simons, Jekyll, and Cumberland are options; all different in their own right. As far as the heat, the beach is usually a little cooler than inland.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:25 AM
jabez

Highlands ,NC.
B&B's,antiques,shopping (even an auction gallery),summer stock and great restaurants. Beautiful views,clear lakes,and cooler mountain air.IMHO,the best "retreat" from ATL within 2-2 1/2 hours.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Danna

Jabez -

Have you been to a rest. called Ristaurante Paoletti (sp?) in Highlands? How is it? What restaurants in Atlanta (or elsewhere) would you compare it to?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:14 AM
jabez

We ate there this Tues. night. It's So. Italian (not cheap) and can be compared with the best Italian in ATL. Once, Lakeside was the best restaurant in Highlands,but the chef moved to a restaurant in nearby Cashiers (have not tried yet). Depending on what type of food you like (we like Floataway,Soto Soto, any Panos & Paul,Tamarind,etc.),there are 3 or 4 Highlands/Cashiers restaurants that could be in the top 20 Atl. list.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Robert

YOU WILL HATE ATLANTA. IT'S TOOOOOO HOT AND THEIRS NOTHING TO DO. THE ATLANTIC COAST BEACHES SUCK. THEY HAVE BROWN SAND AND BROWN WATER. EVERYTHING ABOUT ATLANTA SUCKS

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Theresa

Robert, I am so sorry you could not find anything good to say. You need a rest I believe.

I've lived many places and currently live in N. Georgia. All my family and friends love to come visit.

Although I don't believe GA beaches are the best, its a reasonable drive to Destin where the beaches are most beautiful. We have wonderful shopping and great restaurants in Atlanta. Yes, it is hot and humid this time of year but when most people are freezing and digging out of snow, we are comfortable.

My guests have enjoyed boating on Lake Lanier, shopping at the Outlet Malls, going to Braves games or hockey in season. Going to the CNN center. Partying in Buckhead. Live music in Highlands, Buckhead. Chastain Park for concerts. Going to north georgia to visit small towns, museums, have lunch, etc.