Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Long weekend in September somewhere?? (Coming from NYC) Advice on WHERE?

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone - Looking for some help on a long weekend idea in mid-late September travelling from NYC (with my fiance)?? Was thinking of a place that is easy to drive to since we would probably do a Thursday - Monday type of thing and it would minimize travel time, but I am totally open. Somewhere in Maine, Newport, Rhode Island, Martha's Vineyard or Block Island are potential options, but not sure how any of these places are during the fall - I know many are very popular in the summer months. Any opinions on these places or other ideas?? We are easy to please - since we're from NYC, we were thinking of doing a place that has more scenic outdoor types of areas, quaint village/B&B's, good restaurants, minimal travel planning, etc. -something easy. Thanks in advance for the advice!!! - Laura
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Block Is., though beautiful, pretty much shuts down after Labor Day. Newport and Martha's Vineyard will still be hopping and because the kids are all back to school, it'll be adults only--a big benefit.
There's always the wine region in Long Island and the area around Mystic, Ct. too.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM

How about Finger Lakes or Niagra Falls?

Lots outdoorsy stuff to do in Finger Lakes -- hiking, boating. Wine tours are great!

Good luck!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Why not the Berkshires? And, it's only 2 1/2 hours away.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. So, Block Island is out. Love the Long Island Vineyards & Niagara idea - BUT, I coincidentally just got back from Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake this weekend - very nice...And we go out to the Long Island wine country quite a bit. So....Berkshires are a possibility - I don't know much about them though??? Newport is still an option and the adults only thing sounds great - we are 29 and no kids yet!! Thanks...Any other ideas are welcome!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Bermuda?
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:34 PM

September is a great shoulder season month to travel as kids are back in school and snowbirds haven't retired to the the winter roost yet. You might check out where you could go on a direct flight from NYC as both flights and hotels tend to be less expensive to some great destinations. I would fly to Denver then rent a car and head to Summit County for beautiful scenery and great hiking.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:05 PM

What about Newport, RI? Great Mansions etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:14 PM

I would go to Philadelphia. Things to do - historical sites, Camden Aquarium 10 minutes from Philadelphia, Arden Theater, Philly Art Museum, Philly Zoo, several of the other boutique museums, Garden State Race Track, River/Dinner Cruise, shopping, spa treatments at hotel, etc. etc. On the way back you can stop in Bucks County and plenty of other little quaint antique shopping places.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Lake Placid or someplace else in the Adirondacks. Need reservations now though!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Newport, Rhode Island is a top contender at this point. I guess I didn't realize how many places I've actually been already - have done Bermuda, the Adirondacks, & Philly and have had a great time in all of those places. Denver might be a bit far for me for a long weekend. Any feedback on Maine or Martha's Vineyard - or any other destination?? Thanks everyone!!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Southern Maine might fit the bill--but you'd need to book something now. You could use Ogunquit or Kennebunkport as a base, and spend some time there as well as in Portland, which is a great little city with wonderful restaurants. Laudholm Farm (spelling?) is between Wells and Kennebunkport, and it's a great walk through fields and woods to the ocean. Just driving along the coast and stopping wherever is fun.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM

What about southern Vermont? If you like to see the spectacular fall foliage, do a little hiking, have some blueberry pancakes. Maybe canoe.

Brattleboro is charming.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Southern VT is beautiful but Sept. will be too early for foliage, if that's important to you.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Late September (last week) you might see it. Then into October from what I understand.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Is the Hudson Valley too much in your "own backyard??" We went to HV for our fall vacation last year, I just loved it all. But we came from CA so it was all new to us, it may not be vacation-like enough for someone from NYC. On this same trip we also went to southern Vermont and Lake Placid. Hands down I preferred the Hudson Valley and wish we had stayed there longer.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Newport RI.
It has great scenery. Great bars and restaurants. Lots to do. Will be less crowded.
The night scene is "hopping". Lots of live entertainment.
The Cliff Walk. The Mansions. The beach. Brenton Point State Park.
Then there's the sailing scene.
3 hr drive from NYC.