Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Long weekend in Boise--May (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/long-weekend-in-boise-may-407811/)

ejcrowe Mar 7th, 2004 06:43 AM

Long weekend in Boise--May

My sister is getting married in Boise the first weekend in May. My husband and I will traveling out there for it along with my mother and my 9 year old niece. I would love to get ideas of places to stay, eat, and visit while we're there. Here's what we're looking for:

Hotel--we would prefer a smaller inn or B&B, a place with local color and character. However, price is an obstacle for my mother, and we all need to stay in the same place as we'll be sharing a car for most of the weekend. If our only option is a larger hotel or motel, then we'll need an indoor pool and/or free breakfast and/or airline mileage to compensate for having to stay in a chain. I read some reviews for a place called Anniversary Inn that sounded fun, but I couldn't find a website for it.

Activities--anything that involves mild activity (my mother is in her 70s and loves the outdoors, but can't take lots of vigorous action). Parks, easy to moderate hiking, sights to see. Also, anything that a 9 year old might find interesting.

Restaurants--fancy or a dive, it doesn't matter as long as the food is good. Would prefer locally owned restaurants over national chains.

Thanks in advance!

TourGuide Mar 8th, 2004 05:53 PM

Idaho Heritage Inn
109 West Idaho
Boise, Idaho 83702
(800) 342-8445
idheritageinn.com

Anniversary Inn
1575 S. Lusk
Boise, ID
(208) 387-4900

bigtyke Mar 9th, 2004 06:40 AM

visit the old prison. It is really a fun visit. THe MK Nature Center is interesting. From there you can also walk as far as you want along the river. Just outside of town is the BIrds of Prey Center

Dottie Mar 26th, 2004 05:33 PM

bigtyke,is right on the mark. Those were all my ideas to.

Anniversary Inn used to have a web site.I can't remember it off the top, right now.They are a little on the expensive side. The rooms are very fun,but might be geared more for just couples.They do have tours of there place that are kind of fun if you just want to look at the rooms,when you are in town. I think you can look around on Sundays from 1:00 to maybe 3:00p.m.

Dottie Mar 26th, 2004 05:43 PM

I found the Anniversary Inn, website.

www.anniversaryinn.com/Boise.html

If you click on the room name it will show you a picture of that room.

Tennischick Apr 26th, 2004 12:47 PM

Don't miss a stroll on the greenbelt if the weather is nice. It runs parallel to the Boise River throughout most of city, through a series of parks. Your mother might enjoy walking there - it's all level and pretty scenery along the way.

The MK nature center is just a block off the green belt, at Walnut Street.

If you go to the old pen (as suggested in an earlier message), you'll be adjacent to the botanical gardens which you all might enjoy.

Boise has the largest population of Basques in the U.S. so a trip to the "Basque block" might be fun. Stop at Bar Guernika (yes, there is a Bar Boise in Guernika, Spain!)which is located on Capital Blvd across from the Grove Hotel and the Basque Museum.

A B&B in the downtown area is the Idaho Heritage Inn