Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Long weekend getaway in New England (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/long-weekend-getaway-in-new-england-207323/)

Pamela Nov 15th, 2001 11:30 AM

Long weekend getaway in New England

I would like to take a 3 day trip somewhere in New England with my boyfriend the second week in December. I'm not sure where to go. We like to keep busy. No downhill skiing, but maybe X country (if there's snow anywhere then). We would like to do some winter sport activities, but also would like to go somewhere for shopping and maybe some "sightseeing" kind of things. We do you suggest?

topper Nov 15th, 2001 11:58 AM

to the top

sandy Nov 15th, 2001 12:29 PM

Boston offers alot and the Frog Pond on the Boston Common has just opened for outdoor ice skating. <BR><BR>Berkshires- beautiful. Good shopping, antquing, museums etc. If there is snow by then, could catch some x-country.<BR><BR>NH- Manchester or Concord. Shopping & such. Possible x-country, snow mobiling.<BR><BR>VT- Burlington (northern) or Brattleboro (southern) offer shops, restaurants, plenty to do and outdoor activities as well.<BR><BR>It's a tough decision, each place has much to offer and some of it will be weather dependent. They are all terrific. Personally, I'd bring my ice skates and head to Boston or hunker down in a beautiful Berkshire B&B.<BR>Can't go wrong with any of them! Enjoy!

xxx Nov 15th, 2001 03:57 PM

to the top

Cissy Nov 16th, 2001 06:05 AM

Pamela: I vote for Concord, NH. It's within 45 min. of several ski areas where you can cross country, also lots to see in Concord and surrounding area. Great restaurants, great shopping within Concord and outlet shopping 20 minutes up Route 93. It would be a central location to stay and cover all the bases. Hotels include Courtyard Marriott, Holiday Inn, Days Inn, Centennial Inn. Also some B&B's in the area. Have fun.

neil Nov 16th, 2001 07:32 AM

Cissy: could you elaborate on great restaurants in the Concord area?

DougD Nov 16th, 2001 08:59 AM

An area that's often overlooked is the 'Upper Valley' area of New hampshire and Vermont. The cultural center for this area is Dartmouth College in Hanover NH. There are some great restaurants, shops, museums, theater, etc, all in a very scenic small New England college town. There are countless x-c ski trails nearby, ice skating and sledding right in Hanover, and several downhill ski areas within 1/2 hour. Woodstock Vermont is a 1/2 hour drive to the west, another very scenic town with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Many of the farms and Inns also offer horsedrawn sleigh rides. This is a very beautiful unspoiled area, with lots of covered bridges, deep forests,mountains and farmland. Just pray for snow - last winter we got over 11 feet!

Cissy Nov 16th, 2001 09:52 AM

Neil: Depending on what you prefer, your price range and what you consider as great or good, some that come to mind are: Ginger Garden (sushi/chinese/japanese); Siam Orchid (Thai), Tio Juan's/Margaritas or Hermanos(Mexican), Centennial Inn (fine dining); Angelinas (Italian), Barley House (with weekend entertainment) or Cheers (pub to dining menu), etc. etc. Within a half hour is Manchester, NH with many good restaurants, also some to the North.

Donna F Nov 17th, 2001 03:07 AM

Neil, if you're coming for lunch, the best sandwiches and homemade soups are at In a Pinch Deli up near the high school. Best pastry would be Bread and Chocolate on South Main st, Concord.

Tina Nov 17th, 2001 03:38 AM

There is no guarantee that we will have enough snow for x-country skiing but wherever you go it is a great time to visit. I would vote for Boston and then I would go up north to NH

Tina Nov 17th, 2001 03:41 AM

Forgot to add that if you want to go shopping North Conway, NH is the place and before all skiers arrive it is a pleasure to shop without any crowds and to drive without any traffic