Long Layover in Washington D.C. on New Years Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will have a long layover in D.C. Will any of the usual sites be open on Jan. 1? If so, what would you suggest?
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM

My guess would be that the Museums will all be closed. What airport will your layover be -- Reagan National or Dulles? How much time will you have? The Lincoln, Jefferson, WWII, Vietnam, etc. Memorials will all be available to visit. I'm thinking that Arlington National Cemetery will also be open, but I'm not sure.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Will you be coming from National or Dulles Airport? It will be a lot faster and easier if from the former.

All the Smithsonian museums are open until 5:30 pm on January 1. All the monuments are pretty much open year-round. All are good in their way - what are your interests?

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Which airport and for how long?
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

The airport is Reagan and we arrive at 8:45 AM and leave at 3:10 PM.
Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Lucky you, if it was another airport I'd tell you to stay put.

Everything will be open. You might want to just hop on the Metro (right at the airport!) and get off at the Smithsonian stop. Check out the Mall area there's more than enough to fill your short visit.

http://www.si.edu/

and especially: http://www.nga.gov/

Plan to eat lunch at one of the Art Gallery cafes.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM

The websites indicate that Smithsonian museums are open Jan. 1, but the National Gallery is closed that day. You might return to DCA a bit earlier and eat lunch there if museum cafeterias do not appeal. In the main concourse (outside security) there are a Legal Seafoods and sushi-to-order place, so you might have more varied choices than the museum food courts offer.
The one Smithsonian restaurant that wins good reviews is at the new American Indian museum (use L'Enfant metro station for that one and the Botanical Garden).
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Few museum cafes are very good. National gallery closure eliminates one, but as mentioned the Indian Museum is a pretty fun experience with a wide selection of Native foods, including buffalo, fry bread and wild salmon. It's cafeteria style but enjoyable if the crowds aren't bad.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

What about the National Archives building? Is the Metro a bus or subway? I have only been to D.C. once and I was only a child. Any extra details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM

The National archives is OPEN New Years Day.

Most people are referring to the subway when they say "Metro" although the "Metro System" encompasses and integrates both the subway and busses.

More info: http://www.wmata.com/
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM

The only thing to consider is what to do with the bags, since there will be no place to store them at either the airport or at museums. Anything much larger than a purse will probably be rejected at the museums.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I think you should call the museums to see if they'll accept your bags. My husband and I have checked suitcases at the art museum and the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, and at the natural history museum in New York -- can't see why it wouldn't be the same in D.C. But call or e-mail to be sure.

Of course, if it's a layover, perhaps you won't be hauling luggage.

Also, DCers generally call the airport 'National' instead of 'Reagan.' Have a wonderful time!

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM

First of all, if this is a lay-over, will not the airlines still be in possession of your bags? It's not as if you are flying to DC and then flying to someplace else. You are just changing planes and waiting an inordinate amount of time to do so.

Second, in DC they are very particular about any type of security issue. I cannot imagine any of the major tourist attractions allowing baggage to be left someplace unattended, just as you could not expect to do so in the airport.

Years ago, I repeat...Years ago and long before 9/11, we 'room mothers' had a problem with lunches for 3rd graders who had gone from the 'burbs to one of the museums. We were not allowed to take the lunch bags in with us. At that time, I placed all the bags at the door, in front of a glass partition with the lunches on the outside (in the rain, I might add) and me on the inside watching them. That is the best accommodation they could/would make for us. It doesn't make sense even now, but that is what we had to do.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Most visitor spots do not have storage for luggage. Here's the Smithsonian website

http://www.si.edu/visit/security_and_policies.htm
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Word of caution: while not half as bad as Dulles, the security lines at National have recently gotten quite long during peak times, which I fear yours will be (lots of folks returning from travel in time for Tuesday workday). If it were me, I would plan to be back at the airport check-in desk absolutely no later than 1:30. Metro will be running, but much less frequently. To maximize your time downtown, you may wish to consider taking a cab to and/or from the airport, which will cost between $14-20 for the two of you, but on a light traffic day like this will take about 10 minutes, versus possibly 40 minutes waiting and riding on metro.