Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ATL airport, things to do w/kids in Atlanta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We'll be in Atlanta for about 1 week at the end of the year to visit friends.

1) I recall hearing somewhere that one needs to go through a security gate when you arrive international at Hartsfield airport. Is this true? If so, does that mean I won't be able to bring in duty-free booze from London (because of the liquid in ziplock rule)?

2) Any suggestions for activity for young children (6yo and 3yo)? We are thinking of Acquariam but something within 1-2 driving distance at most? We are not keen on World of Coke (too young to be exposed to fizzy drinks in my view), and not sure there are much they can do in amusement/thrill-ride types of parks. Also any good indoor playgrounds?
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM

If you're arriving at ATL from international, you must go through security even if you're going into Atlanta. That's because the immigration/customs facility is at the far Concourse E, and you need to take the people mover inside security to get to the main terminal.

If you have booze (or other liquid), all you need to do is stick it into your checked luggage after you claim for the first time. Take out whatever from your checked luggage to make room. You'll see your bags within minutes after you take the people mover to the other side of the terminal. I don't think you need to worry about breakage during that short time.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Atlanta has plenty to do for kids.

The Aquarium and the Zoo (the pandas!) are obvious choices, but there are plenty of other choices as well.

Center for Puppetry Arts
Children's Museum
Fernbank museum/planetarium
Stone Mountain
Yellow River Game Ranch
www.yellowrivergameranch.com
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM

PS: You asked about indoor playgrounds. I've never been to the Children's museum personally, but I'm told it's great and basically one big indoor playground.

www.imagineit-cma.org/explore.html
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM

W9London--just returned from visiting our three-year-old grandson in Atlanta. The Children's Museum (ImagineIt!) is wonderful. It is basically a very large room with different play areas (including one for babies and young toddlers). Lots of interactive play, plus places to sit and read. The current exhibit is "Alice in Wonderland" and they present a short interactive musical show. There is limited food available inside. Parking in one of the garages nearby ($12). It was a great way to spend a rainy day. The Aquarium is nearby (World of Coca Cola is between the two).
Another fun activity was up in Canton, Tanglewood Farm (http://www.tanglewoodfarmminiatures.com/).
Center for Puppetry didn't hold grandson's attantion and the ushers were very curt about being quiet.
The
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Children's Garden at the Atlanta Botanical Garden

Chattahoochee Nature Center

Because our weather is generally nice (above freezing, no snow) all year, there aren't really any indoor playgrounds. There are some indoor places that have inflatables for young children to jump in, such as Jump-n-Joe's.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Just back from Atlanta on Sunday....recommend Stone Mountain and Children's Musuem.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Great. Thanks everyone for suggestions. Children's Museum sounds like an excellent destination!

rkkwan,
Just to clarify, are you saying we get to pick up checked luggage BEFORE the said security check and immigration? Do I need to re-claim the checked bag after going through security? I'm just a bit confused about the flow... We are flying direct London-Atlanta, Atlanta being the final destination.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Atlanta have the US immigration/customs at far side of the terminals/concourses with no direct "exits" to the landside ground transportation.

All passengers after getting through US immigration and customs need to go back through the secured airside area to take the train to the main terminal where ground transportation is.

So, what you'll do is:

1. Get off plane
2. Go through US immigration
3. Claim bags
4. Go through US customs
5. Drop off bags to be checked again
6. Take train to main terminal
7. Claim bags again

You cannot take liquids back through the secured area, but you can stick them into your checked bags between points 4 and 5 above.

[Similar situation at Cleveland, CLE.]
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Got it. Wow, that does sound rather confusing, the airport must have been designed before 9/11...

But definitely better than having the duty-free single-malt scotch confiscated to TSA personnel! Thanks for clear explanation.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM

If you are "into Coca Cola" there is a new museum..."The new World of Coke" that is suppose to be fun.
Reply here is you want me to ask a friend of mine who lives there what else there may interest you.
J