Long Day trip - sites on way to Polynesian Cultural Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be renting a car and heading out EARLY in the morning on our trip to PCC. Since PCC doesn't open until 12noon, was planning on taking in sites along way using the Oahu Island Loop Drive. Planning to spend the day at PCC and leave late afternoon around 5:00pm. Have 2 kids and didn't want to stay for night show. In "Driving & Discovering Oahu" book, they suggest taking loop in counterclockwise direction. We've heard so much about the North Shore area being one of the most beautiful areas on the island. Is this the best route or should we take the loop in the other direction? I'm afraid we'll miss alot of the North Shore area because the sun sets so early in Oahu. Where I live, it stays light until 8pm.

Thoughts?

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:10 AM

Not sure when you're coming to the islands, but currently our sunset time has already inched past 7p.m.

As for driving to PCC "early", how early? From Waikiki to PCC non-stop via via the windward coast -- barring traffic problems -- will take less than an hour. After a full afternoon at PCC, it's doubtful that you'd have the energy to make the northshore tour, so if you're heading out 'round 8a.m., heading to the north shore first, might be a good idea.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

That was what I thought too, go the North Shore side on way to PCC. We're heading out around 8am to PCC. I thought that would give us about 4hrs to sight see. I thought we could come back the windward side after visiting PCC all day. Will be heading to Oahu in 8 days! Can't wait! Been planning this trip for 1 year!

The reason why the author suggested windward side, was sun shadows in late afternoon vs. morning, as sun sets on west side of island.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

I'd also say go via the north shore in the morning. You'll have time to visit a beach or two and see haleiwa, then maybe get lunch at the shrimp trucks before you go into the center.

The ride back to Waikiki will be at least an hour (our roads are just not that great), and if you come back via Kailua, Waimanalo, and past Sea life part, you can have good drive- by views even if you're too tired to get out of the the car. the last 20 minutes of your return have little views so it will be fine if its getting dark by the
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:43 AM

the last word above should be 'then".

Is any one else having problems typing here this week? Whenever I hit certain key combinations (Ts seem to be involved) my cursor moves to odd places and I find partial words all over! It is only at this site....
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, for all the tips. I think heading out via the North Shore to PCC is a better idea too. It seems that the windward side is easily reached via the BUS if we see something on our way back to Waikiki that we want to head back to.