long beach, ca to Grand canyon for 5 days

Old Jul 10th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long beach, ca to Grand canyon for 5 days

We have 6 days in which we can drive from Long Beach to Grand Canyon and would appreciate any and all suggestions for our trip in October. drive directly? or stop and see something else? is 4 days enough for the Grand Canyon?

Last edited by sbd57; Jul 10th, 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 06:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
More details please . . . is the 5 days for a round trip drive or JUST for Long Beach to the south rim? Also, where are you staying at the GC? Unless you are doing some serious hiking, 4 days is quite a lot for the Grand Canyon. In order to be there for multiple sunrises/sunsets, IMO 2 full days 3 nights is perfect
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

am looking at Glamping and I appreciate your opinion about the length of time in GC...I have never been and want to see it all. thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2021, 07:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Glamping where? (And for that matter - why ). I know there are some options near Williams but I can't really help with that.

"I have never been and want to see it all." Unless you are hiking down all the way into the canyon, you can easily see it all in two days.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 06:24 AM

It takes MORE THAN two full days to see all that is available, even now. I'd try to get at least two nights inside the park. It is a lot handier for seeing sunrise and sunset (one of the main activities is viewing those from different points). If you don't stay inside the park, you'll spend more time than you'd like hunting for parking and waiting for shuttles. Allow two hours around sunset for that, not including travel time (not joking!!).

At the moment some of the historic buildings and museums are open, be sure to visit those that are. That includes the Geology Museum (one of the first I would visit), Kolb Studios, Verkamp's and the Desert View Watchtower (unfortunately only the lower level open) and Hermit's Rest at the west end. You'll also want to WALK much or all of the Canyon Rim (especially out to Hermit's Rest ) and the Rim Trail including the "Trail of Time". For me, the best short walk down into the Canyon would be to "Ooh Aah Point". You can find more info on what to do by visiting the NPS website.

Note that not all shuttles are running at this time, so extra time for walking is needed. Also sit down dining is limited and I'd for sure bring a cooler and extra food.

Outside the park, Williams has some good nighttime neon signage. Since park lodging doesn't open for checkin until 3-4pm, I often will spend the first night in Williams, then move to the Park for 2 nights. Usually I head out the east end and then to Marble Canyon/Lee's Ferry/Cliff Dwellers on Route 89A which runs along the Vermilion Cliffs. You might want to look for a night's lodging there and then visit the North Rim. You can stop at Cameron on the way out the east end. Lodging at the North Rim is hard to find, so if you decide to do that, you may need to plan the trip around that.

Driving home nonstop is a bit too much for me (whichever direction you go although I've done it from the South Rim). Especially driving west into the sun, it's difficult. So I plan on an overnight along the way.

Driving out I like to take visitors through Oatman and stops along Route 66 (even if it's just Seligman).
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sbd57 View Post
We have 6 days in which we can drive from Long Beach to Grand Canyon and would appreciate any and all suggestions for our trip in October. drive directly? or stop and see something else? is 4 days enough for the Grand Canyon?
Four days is a good amount of time for the Grand Canyon especially if you want to see both North and South Rims. Two days is NOT enough, even for just the South Rim.

It takes MORE THAN two full days to see all that is available, even now. I'd try to get at least two nights inside the park. It is a lot handier for seeing sunrise and sunset (one of the main activities is viewing those from different points). If you don't stay inside the park, you'll spend more time than you'd like hunting for parking and waiting for shuttles. Allow two hours around sunset for that, not including travel time (not joking!!).

At the moment some of the historic buildings and museums are open, be sure to visit those that are. That includes the Geology Museum (one of the first I would visit), Kolb Studios, Verkamp's and the Desert View Watchtower (unfortunately only the lower level open) and Hermit's Rest at the west end. You'll also want to WALK much or all of the Canyon Rim (especially out to Hermit's Rest ) and the Rim Trail including the "Trail of Time". For me, the best short walk down into the Canyon would be to "Ooh Aah Point". You can find more info on what to do by visiting the NPS website.

Note that not all shuttles are running at this time, so extra time for walking is needed. Also sit down dining is limited and I'd for sure bring a cooler and extra food.

Outside the park, Williams has some good nighttime neon signage. Since park lodging doesn't open for checkin until 3-4pm, I often will spend the first night in Williams, then move to the Park for 2 nights.

Usually I head out the east end and then to Marble Canyon/Lee's Ferry/Cliff Dwellers on Route 89A which runs along the Vermilion Cliffs. You might want to look for a night's lodging there and then visit the North Rim. You can stop at Cameron on the way out the east end, walk across the Navajo Bridge, and visit Lee's Ferry landing.. Lodging at the North Rim is hard to find, so if you decide to do that, you may need to plan the trip around that.

Driving home nonstop is a bit too much for me (whichever direction you go although I've done it from the South Rim). Especially driving west into the sun, it's difficult. So I plan on an overnight along the way. Depending on whether you get lodging at the North Rim, you might also be able to include Zion and/or Las Vegas. Mesquite is a good place for hotels if you don't want to deal with Las Vegas itself. I like Eureka if it isn't a weeekend.

I like to take first time vistors through Oatman and include at least one stop on Route 66 (usually Seligman). It can take an extra day to do the entire Route 66 but not sure if some of the attractions have survived COVID.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 11th, 2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 01:35 PM
J62

If you really want to "see it all" then I strongly recommend spending some time (more than a half day hike) below the rim, including near the river and the various side creeks. That would entail a camping trip with long hikes and you carry your own gear. The best area (IMO) is the near Deer Creek/Thunder River, but I don't think you can do that trip in less than 4 or 5 days, departing from the North Rim.

This company offers hiking trips. I know nothing about them, but you can see what various half-day, one day, or longer treks would be.
https://wildlandtrekking.com/destina...-hiking-tours/

This would be the trip I'd take..
https://wildlandtrekking.com/trips/w...-grand-canyon/

Last edited by J62; Jul 11th, 2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:09 PM

Not sure when you're going, but I live 2 hours from the GC, have been to both the North and South rims several times, and have certainly not seen it all. Just a drive from one rim to the other takes at least 4 hours. I'm sure you know your drive will be at least 10 hours each way, so how much driving do you want to do after that? You can see a lot of the South Rim in a few days, but you really haven't experienced the true grandeur of the GC unless you spend time on the North Rim. (By the way, ignore the ads for "Grand Canyon West." It's a tourist trap.)

REI has a travel section and their hiking tours of the GC are very good.