Reload this Page >

London: The Tube with 2 kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
martinsmom

Will be in London in Spring with my 2 kids--5 yrs and 2 yrs. We plan to take the Tube to go places. What advice can you give with regards to safety, convenience, going up & down the escalatos, etc? Will it be more convenient to take buses instead?

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll probably get more help if you post this again on the Europe board.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM

If your kids know how to use escalators, no problem. It is the quickest way through town, no trafficjam.
Avoid rushhours.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Assume it's a couple with two kids. (I would not try to do the tube with kids that young if I were alone.)

Also assume you will want a stroller for the 2 year old. The problem is that the escalators are VERY fast - much more so than in the US and the only way I've seen people use them with a stroller is to pick it up on the escalator (although I'm sure this must be against the rules). Many - but I believe not all stations have elevators - but you would need to check on this.

If alone with two kids that young I would do the bus - just beause it's much easier to keep track of them. (And I would never assume any 2 year old capable of using an escalator - many 5 year olds can't - they think they're toys and the number of kids trapped by hair, shoe laces, sleeves etc and injured is too horrible to contemplate.)
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Mind the Gap (you will know what that means when you return)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM

If you decide to do it, avoid the peak hours.

Kieth
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Agree with Keith, you will not get a seat during rush hour. It can get extremely packed. But I definitely recommend the Tube as opposed to sitting on a bus in traffic. On safety, my perception is that it's safer than ever now. That said, there were at least 10 policemen/women in Victoria station last week at noon! You can take that either way I guess. I have also seen, on a different occasion, luggage being randomly checked. But I ride it just about daily, and feel very comfortable doing so. And quite honestly, I've never figured out how to even read the bus routes! If you have a stroller, be aware that some stations do not have escalator access. Or they do, but you will have to negotiate some stairs first. But I've seen more than a few people offer a helping hand to those (myself included) with heavy luggage, etc. You can check the Tube website for station facilities.