Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza Grant Park Concert Chicago 2009 Safe route????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 18 year old daughter (& 3 18 year old friends) from Columbus Ohio want to attend Lollapalooza in Grant Park, Chicago the first weekend of August. She would be staying at an apt. of a friend's family on Winchester Ave about a 10 minute walk to the Brown Line. Taking the subway to the Library and walking about 10 minutes to the park.
She got this route off google.

Does anyone know about the safety of walking and taking the Brown line subway at midnight on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night? Is waiting for the subway safe? Is walking on Winchester Avenue (4800 block) safe at midnight?

I trust the kids, just want to keep them safe as they aren't "big city" savy and don't know Chicago.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM

If there's four of them, I would not worry much. In the downtown area, there will be likely be a lot of other people who are going to/from the concert. The other end of the trip will possibly be more deserted, though it can be hard to say (weather, etc.). I think their walk would only be 2-3 blocks, which I would call more like a 3-minute walk, but then again, I'm used to getting around on foot. If you're worried, give your daughter a quick primer on being street smart, but I'd say there's no particular reason she shouldn't do this if she'll be with friends.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM

The 4800 block of Winchester is near corner of Damen and Lawrence. The Brown Line stop near there is called Damen. (Also, the Brown Line is an elevated train, not one of the subways.) My husband works in this area, and often walks from the Damen stop to his office. He says this neighborhood is very nice, and safe, although his experience is during the day and not at midnight.

They will be fine between Grant Park and the Library stop. I think they'll be fine after getting off the train at Damen too, especially since there are 4 of them. Occasionally you'll hear of someone getting attacked or mugged at night in a nice neighborhood, but usually it's someone who's walking alone.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I appreciate your candor. You've been a real help.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I live right by that intersection and consider it to be safe at any hour. However, it is still the city and like posters above have said it is always best to be safe. I'd tell them to be sure to stick together and not branch off from the group. That event is extremely crowded and it's easy to get separated from your group when leaving. I was in this mess last year! Just be sure they have some type of plan or meeting location if they get separated. It's not likely, but just to be safe. There are also a TON of police officers on duty during this event, so that might ease your mind a bit.
I will say though, if it were me, I'd consider taking the Metra down. They are right by the metra stop at Lawrence and it's 12 mins to downtown. They will have to walk a good 6-7 blocks East to get to Grant Park, but it is MUCH quicker than taking the el, even with the extra walking. Then maybe take the brown line home since it's closer. The el could take an hour though where the Metra train is just 12 mins.