Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Logistics on Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/logistics-on-maui-466057/)

Nancy03 Aug 10th, 2004 08:22 AM

Logistics on Maui

For those familar with Maui distances/traffic etc. I have a question for you.... We will be arriving in Maui around 9:30 am. Staying at the 4 Seasons and would like to spend the first morning going around the top/west loop stopping at the blowhole Honolua Bay, the dragon's teeth and pools and then stopping at Mama's for lunch.

Would it be better for us to take our luggage to the 4 Seasons for storing and then head back up through Lahania and around the top? This would prevent us from having our luggage in the truck all day BUT it may be too far out of our way
and not all that necessary.

I read alot about theft on this Fodor's site. Is this an hourly/daily occurance?

Nancy03 Aug 10th, 2004 06:19 PM

ttt

Ranger Aug 10th, 2004 09:23 PM

no, it would only be about a 45 min. side trip to drop your luggage off first. As for theft, never had a problem in a dozen trips there, but I still wouldnt feel comfortable leaving all my things in the car in remote areas.

Blacktie Aug 11th, 2004 06:47 AM

Nancy, you need to rethink your plan. If you're arriving at OGG, that's only 8 miles from Mamas. Perhaps you ought to dine there before going to Four Seasons.

The blow hole is at leats two hours from where you're staying. It's not a 45 minute side trip ... look at a map. The trip around the top and on to Kahalui takes at least half a day, because you'll want to stop and climb down. And yes, you cannot leave anything in your car at the parking areas.

Better to do the trip around the north end on a different day. I just made this same trip, and it takes far more time than you've allowed.

Nancy03 Aug 11th, 2004 07:40 AM

Black tie: Thanks for your suggestions. I think you miss understood my questions. We will be arriving at OGG at 9:30 am. We can't eat at Mamma's then - it's too early. I was thinking we might go to the 4S, drop our luggage and be back on the road around 11:00 arriving at Mama's around 3 pm for a late lunch. But this still may be too short of time. In any event we won't leave our luggage in the car and may want to swap our day travels.

Blacktie Aug 11th, 2004 08:37 AM

Yes, I see. From OGG to 4S, two hours, hwy 380/30, then south. Maui Revelaed gives full details of the trip around the north coast. Wise to allot one day, if you plan to eat at Mamas. See Pa'ia and Makawao while in the vicinity. And by all means, climb down to the blow hole ... which is easier from the second, not the first parking lot. Also, the pools later on. The road then becomes one-lane for much of the way. Mama's has a seared ahi starter that is amazing ... best version I've ever tried. In Maui, of course, think fish, fish, fish!!

Nancy03 Aug 11th, 2004 09:14 AM

Blacktie: Does it matter what time of day we start this trip? Do we need to get moving by 8 am?

Blacktie Aug 11th, 2004 09:50 AM

No need to start that early. I'm assuming you're still planning a late lunch at Mamas (Hwy 36, 8 miles east of OGG). From 4S to the blow hole, 1 1/2 hours (much traffic in Lahaina), then one hour plus down and back up to the car. Then another hour plus to the polls, including down and a swim in them. Then one hour plus to Kahului, interesing drive - one lane in places. Then another 20 min. to Mamas (look for the row boat on your left and tunr in to valet parking). The probably 1 1/4 hours back to the 4S. I'm not sure what this all adds up to. If you take time for Pa'ia and Makawao (see the glass blowing on Baldwin Avenue), add another hour plus. Not sure what all this adds up to.

Restaurants we know in your area and north: Seafood Restaurant at Ma'alaea, and Pacific'O and I'o at Lahaina. Sansei at Kihei and Kapalua. Also, in Lahaina, Cafe Sauvage. Mamas, of course.

Maui Revealed, if you don't have it, is a must!!! Most useful I've seen.

By the way, when leaving OGG, allow time for the USDA scan at the airport -which you must do before checking your bags.

For the trip to the crater, sun screen!!!

Ranger Aug 11th, 2004 10:09 AM

Blacktie misunderstood my post. If you head south from the airport, and up around thru lahania to do the loop, it would only take about 45 mins extra to drop your luggage off first. Plenty of time to make it around for a late lunch.

Nancy03 Aug 11th, 2004 11:06 AM

Ranger - so from where we hit the road leading west (just north of Kihei) is about 45 minute detour?

Blacktie Aug 11th, 2004 11:36 AM

Nancy, you'll be on 380 from OGG, then join 30. Soon, a left onto 310, as I recall, to go south thru Kihei to the 4S. It's beyond me how you can then drive to the hotel, check in, and then get back to 310/30 in just 45 minutes. I bow to Ranger's expertise, but we drove that entire area last week, and it takes time. There is a lot of traffic, and the speed limit is 45-55.

I was going to suggest an alternate restaurant after the crater ... near Makawao, the Haliimaile General Store, 808-572-2666, considered better food than Kula Lodge (on the road down from the crater).

After the crater, why not try the lavender farm, off 377, near intersection with 37.

And a spot to skip!!! Twin Falls. You have to wade and climb to reach them, and they are small. Crowds!

julesj66 Aug 11th, 2004 12:32 PM

Slightly off topic, but regarding the Blow Hole - be very careful around this area - we visited the blow hole last Oct - I was very excited to see it - the area is beautiful but the ocean was RAGING - it can be a very dangerous place, rough surf, very rocky, etc - use caution & be practical! I'm sure there are many many other posts that can be found on this board re: the blow hole!

Ranger Aug 11th, 2004 03:03 PM

Its only 17 miles from the airport to the Four Seasons. 35/40 min drive.
Its only about 8 miles from the intersection you speak of...so 8 in, 8 out and your back on track..maybe a little more than 45 mins with check in, but still plenty of time..

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 11th, 2004 03:24 PM

Nancy, does it have to be Mama's on that day?

You can buzz on down to the 4S and check in without loosing too much time. You'll spend more time waiting for the shuttle to the rental lot and getting the car than a side trip to Wailea would take. I drive the stretch from Wailea Alanui to Mokulele Hwy. everyday. It's about a 10 minute drive, as Ranger has said. But, you'll need more time to explore on the pali road. A better plan would be to have lunch either in Kapalua and to include the I`ao Valley into this day. I can't imagine trying to drive around the pali and then make it Mama's for lunch. Dinner would be more doable. The Plantation House is a nice place for lunch (or breakfast or dinner), and you would be hitting it just in time for lunch.

Rusty Aug 11th, 2004 03:38 PM

Well, that certainly clarifies that !!

Nancy03 Aug 11th, 2004 07:12 PM

Thanks Here Today. I will take your recommendations. Your advise always seems reasonable and reliable. It's nice that locals like you and Auntie stay on these boards and help those of us trying to get the most from our vacations.

bifs5 Aug 12th, 2004 04:16 AM

nancy,

not that the thieves come out on every stop. but i have had friends who have had there entir car cleaned out including the sneakers. get rid of your luggage then enjoy beautiful hawaii.