Reload this Page >

Loews or Ritz Carlton Huntington in Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:09 PM
margery

We're going for two days to Los Angeles. Which hotel would you recommend if you've stayed at either one of these. Also, do you recommend seeing Lion King?
Thank you for your help,
Margery

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:22 PM
xxx

It might help us make a suggestion if we knew the age of the travelers and your interests. Loews is a beach hotel in Santa Monica, while the Ritz Carlton is located in Pasadena. Both hotels are great and both locations are equally great. Just depends on what you intend on seeing and doing for your 2 days. As for the Lion King, I enjoyed it, but there are so many enjoyable things to do in LA. Give us a better idea of what you would like to do and I'll try and give you some suggestions.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:34 PM
margery

My husband and I are just turning 50. We live in San Diego, so we ae fairly familiar with L.A. We've been to the Getty Museum, but have never visited Santa Monica or Pasadena. We really are open to suggestions. My husband likes to shop, but only a little. We like good restaurants, interesting things see, and probably some quiet time.
Thanks for your advice.
Margery

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:16 AM
c

Margery - When are you coming up from San Diego? While the Loew's Hotel is beautiful, I'm not sure if I would spend the money to stay by the beach during the winter months, unless you're getting a great deal.

The Rotz Carlton is up to the standards you'd expect from this hotel chain. Pasadena is one of my favorite cities. The downtown area continues to grow and gets better all the time. There are so many good restaurants to choose from...so many cuisines and price ranges...something for everyone. There's plenty of shopping, including Colorado Blvd in Old Town, Lake Avenue and the recently opened Paseo Colorado.

The Norton Simon Musuem is well worth a visit. There's also the Pacific Asia Museum which includes a lovely Chinese courtyard garden. The Gamble House is a great example of Arts & Crafts architecture and worth seeing. And in the neighboring city of San Marino, there is the Huntington Library, which includes a large art collection as well as botanical gardens.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:40 PM
michele

Margery,
Go with the Ritz. It's gorgeous,has an excellent restaurant and spa. Further Pasadena (and San Marino) have a lot to offer ( shopping in non-mall environment, Norton-Simon musuem, Gamble house, Huntington Gardens and Library), plus you have good freeway access to LA and Santa Monica. I am not a fan of SM even in the summer and the beach in the winter has no appeal to me at all.

Michele

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:58 PM
kam

Agree with c and Michelle. Pasadena is a little island in the vast sprawl of L.A. Really good restaurants--suggest Sorisso, Yugean Kang's, Twin Palms or the one started by Pinot in the old Cronicle Building. In addition to the Norton Simon and Huntington, there's an Asia Pacific museum near the pretty old city hall and the Gamble House (as in Proctor and Gamble) that's very interesting. The old Wrigley mansion is now the Tourniment of Roses headquarters. Pasadena is a wonderful place and the Ritz Carlton is super. Enjoy.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:59 PM
kam

Another thought: Think Aida is at the Ahmanson Theatre. Very convenient to Pasadena.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Dawn

Hi Margery,
Been to both. I absolutely love the Ritz in Pasadena. It's a gem and the town is great. You could spend days in the Huntington Gardens - call ahead and see if you can a reservation for tea. It's lovely.

The Loews is nice. Personally, in my opinion, I don't like Santa Monica that much anymore. It was better years ago.