Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Loews at Lexington and 52nd - good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 04:16 AM
jm

We've got a rate of $199 plus and upgrade to a business room at the Loews in mid-July. We think the location is fine, but what is the hotel itself like?

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 07:11 AM
dave

I live in NY and notice scaffolding around part of the hotel. I'd find out if there'll be a lot of pounding. The hotel looks like a 1950s or 1960s affair on the outside, but it's been renovated. I'd say it's OK -- there are many fancier places (including one right on the same block) -- but you should have a decent time.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 08:26 AM
Ted

Stayed there twice before moving to NYC in 1998.

Very good location, but the hotel itself isn't great. Clean, smallish rooms. Overall, I'd say you get what you pay for, and nothing more.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:23 AM
jm

Thanks to all. I checked out the scaffolding report, and sure enough, the entire hotel ("but not the rooms, yet") is under renovation. We've switched to the Iroquois for the same rate. I'm grateful for the warning.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:36 PM
jennifer

I've booked to stay at the Loews in early August. My travel agent advised me about the renovations saying that it was only the lobby (for now) and work will commence at 8am and finish by 6pm. I've decided to stick with the booking. Hope I'm not too disappointed but I do like the location.

j

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 08:04 AM
jm

Jennifer:

I strongly suggest you call the hotel and speak to the front desk directly. That is how I got my information. They did indeed say "everything except the rooms". If they're just doing the lobby, why is the outside of the building covered with scaffolding? Also, I take the front desk information that the rooms are being done next, as a good hint that they are "in need of renovation". Check out the Iroquois summer special. www.Iroquoisny.com

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:30 AM
jennifer

Ok, you got me panicked. Contacted my travel agent and got the following advice faxed:
The Loews is ungoing a $17m refurbishment over next few years. Stage 1 started 19 June and will finish Oct 2000 and will include the lobby,restaurant, ballroom and meeting rooms. During this stage all areas of the hotel will operate normally but they may need to relocate the front desk and restaurant. Stage 2 will begin Jan 2001 and continue for the next few winters and will involve the rooms.

Having booked from Oz, I am finding it really difficult to find another hotel at that time. I know I can book myself over the Net but with the state of the Aussie dollar the cost is a lot higher than booking thru a travel agent. My first, second and third choices were already booked out (though available on the Net). Guess I am going make do having little choice now. As long as the room and especially the bathroom is clean and it is quiet (as it can be in NYC) at night, I'll survive.

Thanks for your comments, but I've left my run too late. The main thing is I'm going to visit NYC again!!!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Trevor

The Iroquois is a great place in a great spot. It's next to the Algonquin and across the street from the Royalton. You'll love it. It's been remodeled recently, too.