loew's santa monica parking

Jul 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

loew's santa monica parking

Do you think it's worthwhile trying to find nearby garage parking or just pay the $25/night charge at the hotel? We arrive on Jetblue at Long Beach this Thursday around 6pm with two kids 11 and 14, have a quick drive in rush hour (an oxymoron?) to Santa Monica for 3 nights, then to the El Encanto in Santa Barbara for 1 night, on to Cambria for 5 nights at a rental house, then up the coast to visit my brother in SF. I know everybody likes the Miramar more, but we had a great time at the Loew's Hard Rock in Orlando and I'm looking forward to watching TV in the bathtub at the Loew's in Santa Monica. Suggestions are welcome...
Jul 26th, 2004, 07:59 AM

In answer to your first question: No, it's not worth it. I can't think of garage parking with in-and-out privileges in this area (I work up the street).

The drive from LGB to Santa Monica will be less than an hour, especially if you follow this advice: Don't do freeway all the way. Take the I-405 north out of Long Beach, then get off at Imperial Highway just south of LAX, take a left onto Imperial, follow it to Sepúlveda Blvd. Left on Sepúlveda, then bear left onto Lincoln. Take Lincoln up to Washington, then left on Washington, follow to Pacific, where you'll take a right. Follow Pacific up into Santa Monica, where it becomes Ocean. The Loews will be two blocks north of Pico on your left. Truth is, it's not much shorter than staying on the freeway, but it moves and you won't beat your head on the steering wheel when you're stuck in traffic on the 405.

The Loews here in SM is a nice hotel and all, but those of us who have an opinion about it note its anonymity. Close your eyes and you could be in any business-oriented Loews. And clients of mine who have stayed there have been less than impressed by the service level. The Miramar is older, but in level of service, grounds and amenities, it shines. Still-- you'll be happy at the Loews. Enjoy!
Jul 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Darn it-- mistake in the directions. Left on Imperial, then RIGHT on Sepúlveda! RIGHT on Sepúlveda! Otherwise you'll end up in El Segundo-- "where the sewer meets the sea" (home of the Hyperion sewage treatment plant). RIGHT on Sepúlveda!
Jul 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Pay for their valet. It's worth the convenience once you are there. We found the hotel fine but rooms were small for 4, assuming you are sharing with your kids. We loved the location!! Rent bikes and ride to Venice.
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'll pay for parking. With a smile. I'm on vacation. And I'll make sure to turn right on Sepulveda. And bike up and down the boardwalk (which is not really a boardwalk but should be pretty cool anyway). Thanks again for all your suggestions. We're looking forward to the trip!
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM

You'll love the bike path! And if you can get down to the Strand (Hermosa/Redondo Beach), all the better. Good exercise, great scenery, lots of cool things along the way. Always fun!