Loew's L'Enfant or Holiday Inn Capitol

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loew's L'Enfant or Holiday Inn Capitol

I am looking for a hotel near the mall. The two I am looking at are the Loew's L'Enfant and the Holiday Inn Capitol. The average price for the three nights in mid May are almost the same. Has anyone stayed at both? Will the expense of dining at the L'Enfant be very expensive?
Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:59 AM

If I had to choose one of these two, I would go for the Holiday Inn Capitol. Neither of the two is convenient to any dining options. They are in the midst of huge gov't office buildings. The Holiday Inn is at least closer to the mall and by extension to the many restaurants north of the mall. If you are set on staying south of the Mall, then plan to have only breakfast at your hotel (your only choice really) and plan lunches/dinners either at one of the National Gallery of Art's 4 restaurants (the only good food ON the Mall) or at the multitude of great restaurants north of the mall. In particular, 7th st. between D st. and I st. is packed w/ good places to eat. I would particularly hate to be trapped eating the mediocre, overpriced hotel food at the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. DC is a great eating town but none of it is in the area south of the Mall.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

bardo:

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at these hotels because you could walk to the mall. But after your response, I think I try another area. In fact I found one of your responses regarding Dupont Circle and the restaurants in that area. I will look into the rates I can get at the Radisson Barcelo. If they aren't that great, I'll stick to that area.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Tess

We stayed at both of these hotels on our last DC trip. While neither is 'close' to great restaurants, the Metro is literally right outside your door and the entire city is accessible. Loews was the nicer of the two and their rooftop pool was 10 times better than Holiday Inn's. I would go with Loews knowing that you'll have to use a car, taxi or the Metro for restaurants. For us that was no big deal since did the tourist thing all day then went back to the hotel to rest and get dressed for dinner. After that, a quick taxi ride and there we were at our restaurant.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Dan

I don't know both of these hotels so I can't compare, but I'd generally choose any Loews over any Holiday Inn! They are very different chains.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
LN

You're right Dan - a Holiday Inn is not in the same league as Loew's but Loew's location is basically behind the Smithsonians and in a office building environment so there isn't anything going on after 5 pm. There is more activity up where the Holiday Inn is located and I'd agree with Bardo.

If you'd look for better deals or choose another area look at the JWMarriott at 13th and Penna. or the Radisson on Dupont Circle. Generally you can find specials on most of these hotels.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Dan

A cab costs an extra $5. I'd still stay at a Loews even if located behind a garbage dump!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM

The distance to the Mall isn't that different between the two, ande they are both equally convenient to a metro stop. I'd go with the nicer hotel, especially if the rates are the same. I've eaten at two of the restaurants in Loew's and they are okay. I sure wouldn't want to be dependent on that for eating, however.

I don't agree with above that there is more going on around Holiday Inn. I am in that area frequently for some night classes at a govt. building and there is nothing going on there, either. Really nothing. It is also just govt. office buildings.

I think a lot of tourists think for some reason that have to be within walking distance of the museums, but there is no reason for that. You should choose a hotel based on other things.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM

I agree stay somewhere else. Have been to Loews and it was plesant hotel, food so-so, good continental b'fast in lobby, expensive buffet breakfast otherwise. But getting to mall is easy on Metro. One trip in in a.m.--one trip out at end of day. we liked Hotel Helix last time (some good restaurants nearby, can walk into Georgetown if you like to walk.)
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I am a New Yorker and ride the subway everyday, so I was trying to avoid doing that. But, I will be staying at the Radisson Barcelo in Dupont Circle. These boards are really very helpful. I'll give you a report upon my return.
Thanks!